DWIII - 3D - Joe Bird - Thaurnus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2008   #1
DWIII - 3D - Joe Bird - Thaurnus

Current Progress
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Brainstorm Idea:

savage primitive with living wooden weapon that morphs

Character Development:
Human - Warlord
Artifact - Vegetation

The Warlord: Thaurnus
A young knight who was one of many to answer the call of Triu by traveling deep into an ancient forest to retrieve its heart. He is the only known seeker to survive the extreme tests of will and fortitude the search for Triu required. His quest leaves him on the brink of insanity, but possessing an artifact with powers he has only begun to understand, as well as a newfound avian friend known simply as Shrike.

The Artifact: Triu, The Heart of the Forest
Seen as a Green glowing orb spiraling into infinity, Triu is the living heart of a forest that can morph into various shapes and living substances, regenerating any living matter it comes into contact with and allowing its bearer to communicate with all living things, even the trees themselves.

Triu sits upon the chest of Thaurnus, its roots and vines extending outward sprouting leaves, thorns, and even flowers as they wrap both arms in living wood and bone ready to both protect and maim.

Thumbnail Sketch:

Last edited by inneractive : 03 March 2008 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Added a Current Progress Section

Old 02 February 2008   #2
Finally got an idea and thumbnail sketch done. I'll be working on some pencil sketches this evening to flesh out the look further then post another update.

Old 02 February 2008   #3
I spent the morning doing more digital sketches and came up with a thumbnail sketch I plan to upsize and detail out. He will be wearing some of his old armor with his sword and shield integrated into his living armor. His tattered tabard will have our team logo on it.

Old 02 February 2008   #4
Did a pencil sketch of him. Next I'll sketch his sides, back, and head, as well as the bird Shrike. Then I should be ready to model the base meshes.

Last edited by inneractive : 02 February 2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added Shrike to the sketch.

Old 02 February 2008   #5
Smile

Wow! Its looking really good especially the armor around the arms. I just have one TINY crit though (please take no offense) but the upper part of the body seems to be turned a bit to the side while the lower part of the body remains to the front. But Overall, that it's a really nice concept. The idea is just gold. Do you intend on keeping the bird in your final render? It would really add to the whole vegetation/nature theme.

Old 02 February 2008   #6
Hey, thank you, and thanks for the crit too. Right after I scanned the sketch I realized I had forgotten the bird. I'll be sure to draw him in next.

Old 02 February 2008   #7
Going with the vegetation magic...nice. i was hoping to see someone take that on. Your concept is good. I like that everything seems to grow off of the character. The little sidekick bird is a great touch as well. Keep workin' it.

DWIV

Old 02 February 2008   #8
Nice to see more people fighting the machines with the natural magic of the plant!

Old 02 February 2008   #9
Thanks for the kind words and support everyone.

I went ahead and updated the previous sketch by adding Shrike in. I've also done a revision to the Right Arm and will be doing a revision to the Left Arm tonight as well.

Old 02 February 2008   #10
More design work on the Left arm. Going to do the back and head next and should be ready to start modeling the base mesh by Tuesday.

Old 02 February 2008   #11
My idea for the back is a trinity knot.

Old 03 March 2008   #12
I finally remembered to enter DWIII at GA's website and decided to use my current sculpting work as my WIP thumb and post the larger image here. The head is at 36k faces and is almost ready to be subdivided for detail work, but I'm going to finish up roughing out the torso and hands first. I plan to be started on adding armor for sculpting by Tuesday.

Old 03 March 2008   #13
Started roughing out the torso. A lot of this will not be seen, but I think I will be sculpting most of the body, mainly because my knowledge of anatomy is so weak I could really use the study and practice.

Old 03 March 2008   #14
Finished roughing the figure. Should be ready to start roughing out the armor pieces tomorrow. I decided to hold off on adding any high detail stuff until everything is roughed out so I can focus on only the areas that will need it.

Old 03 March 2008   #15
Hey! thanks for posting a comment in my thread.
Your concept seems to go well. If you don't mind me asking, do you make the sculpt first and then make a lowpoly that resembles the high as much as possible? (it's a competition so I understand if you don't want to help )

Keep up the good work!

Thread Closed share thread