simple radisity render setup

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2003
Question simple radisity render setup

Hye,
I've tried to get a simple radiosity render with mentalRay (maya4), and can't get something correct. First case all is burn, second case it's only the light which bright the scene. I' know the tutorial which exist, and I've already redenr demo scene on my computer well.

So can you give in ~five point (ray, ray sample, ray%%) the typical setup of the light ant of the MR render globals.
It's for my head project http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59252

04 April 2003
Well...
What I did when I first got Maya ws this for a simple GI render...ala radiosity is this...
Just turn out the lights...
In the camera options select the background color and put it about half way....mid grayish
Then in your globals leave globals at default but make sure Final Gathering is turned on,nothing else...no caustics,nothing.
Render.
This pic here was just that...raytracing was at production as was anti-aliasing.
This is just some quick stuff I made...
Just the bare bones of GI with no big jump in settings...
I dont know if this what youre after but this is what Ive been doing a little of....
In the next post I show a little caustics...fast caustics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gi.jpg (15.2 KB, 340 views)

04 April 2003
This time I think I turned the light up just a little....
You see the back drop is doing most of the lighting....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balls.jpg (12.0 KB, 339 views)

05 May 2003
Thanks a lot man. I was not knowing about hte camera color
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gi.jpg (12.6 KB, 294 views)

05 May 2003
Hey wgreenlee1 -

Thanks for the post on GI & FG. I did what you described, & i get a nice looking pic (albiet your green vertical torus'), however, i can't seem to get any shadows on the plane w/ GI.
When i turn FG, i get shadows, but the image is blown out.

any suggestions?

thanks again

05 May 2003
oh, and i don't have any lights in the scene. I did add a spot & turned it off as per your post, but the scene was black.

thanks

05 May 2003
don't forget the cam color !!

05 May 2003
What difference would that make? The camera background color is not affected by lighting. I think he means he has light sources that, when turned all the way off, make the scene completely dark. What I was told was to make a half-sphere to place around your scene, make it some gray shade, and turn up the incandescence. Make sure Final Gathering is turned on in the mentalray globals, and see what that gives you. (You do not "need" light sources for this, but I am not sure what to do when you DO need light sources, because no one will answer my thread. :thumbsdow )

05 May 2003
Heres one lit by a image plane only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contraptiojn4.jpg (26.7 KB, 200 views)

05 May 2003
Here is one with a HDR image mapped onto a sphere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balll.jpg (15.3 KB, 188 views)

05 May 2003
Here is another HDR with a little DOF.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balll3.jpg (18.0 KB, 190 views)

05 May 2003
Eh TiKiMon, the camera color as an influence on the final gather render. But for your question about the case of an added light... I don't know

05 May 2003
Quote: But for your question about the case of an added light... I don't know

What's was the exact question ?

Why he put a light in the scene with 0 intensity ? Most probably to avoid the creation of the default light (which can be disabled in the render globals too).

05 May 2003
Quote: Originally posted by stunndman
What's was the exact question ?

Why he put a light in the scene with 0 intensity ? Most probably to avoid the creation of the default light (which can be disabled in the render globals too).

Oh..crap...
Well to tell the truth.....I keep forgeting about the default light ..... :insane:

05 May 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Nicool
Eh TiKiMon, the camera color as an influence on the final gather render. But for your question about the case of an added light... I don't know

Thanks Nicool... I never would have imagined that the bg color of the camera would in any way effect the scene lighting. I just thought it was there for placing in areas where there was no object in the view.

So do you ever use any actual lights with intensities greater than 0? I know that doing that would cast comparably harder shadows... but right now, I suppose I am still a bit confused on using lights to light a nice GI scene, rather than incandescent objects.

Thread Closed share thread