How to use HDRI on 3D with no BLUE results

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2008   #1
How to use HDRI on 3D with no BLUE results

I think that I understand the theory of HDRI. I read a lot of stuff related.
After a lot of tries, I got smooth results of lighting (of course, lot of time consuming), but :

1. EXTERIOR SCENES : Always too much blue results. I thought that HDRI files have more information than color to get reallistic illumination. If I reduce the saturation, the results are not was I hope from HDRI results that I saw on the net so,

2. HDRI 3D TUTORIALS : I would like to find somewhere tutorials talking about HOW TO USE HDRI FILES ON A 3D APP (specially in EIU). I repeat, no HDRI tutorials.

3. INTERIOR SCENES: No tested. Also, I like to find tutorials on the net somewhere.

4. OBJETCS : I see the best results in this area. If the object has a little bit or too much reflections, perfect results. But I don´t get the same results on a building. I know that could be considered like an object but, for me, no results got it.

So, summary, I would like to know your experiences about it, opinions about the points described below and, like I said, tutorials of how to get the power of HDRI, obviously and specially in EIU.

Thanks in advance !

Old 01 January 2008   #2
Hi Juan.
Controlling the color in an HDR is completely dependant on the HDR itself, but it is possible.

I have created a few HDRs that I can control the saturation of color just by modifying the Clamp Max. If your HDR is suitable, lowering clamp max can cut much of the color information, and give a less saturated appearance. (it works with mine, anyway)

If I can finish enough of these custom HDR's I will offer them as a group for sale. Maybe one or two freebies...
I would also like to do a training video, and I think Ian has offered to do one as well.

As for uses, HDRI is best used in exterior and object shots.
Interior architecture is a special case, because the walls of the interior will block the light coming from the HDR.

For smooth lighting you may want to open the HDR in photoshop and apply a heavy gaussian blur to smooth out the image. You can also decrease the resolution significantly. Small, blurry HDRs can light a scene very effectively. High res, crisp HDR images are really only needed for RT reflection and refraction maps.

Old 01 January 2008   #3
To get rid of the blue look you need to de-saturate the maps, it's the same for any 3D app.

Clamping the max values will also help,
Ian

Old 01 January 2008   #4
Thanks for you answers but, what about TUTORIALs (Ian?). May be tutorials of other applications could get us benefit talking of HOW TO USE HDRI ON 3D APP ?

Old 01 January 2008   #5
I'm working on a hero tutorial right now

Old 01 January 2008   #6
As somebody said, elsewhere, EiAS moust change his name for EiAN.

FelixCat

Old 01 January 2008   #7

Here we go:

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/forums/viewthread/404/

I apologise profusely for talking quickly, too much coffee
Ian

Old 01 January 2008   #8
Just DLing the 3

Really, really, really thanks for you efforts.

Old 01 January 2008   #9
Those videos are a big help Ian.
Thanks a LOT.

Jim Mulcahy

Old 01 January 2008   #10
Fantastic vidz Ian. You truely are EIAS' shining star!!

Old 01 January 2008   #11
White balance

Sounds to me like we need a white balance control embedded somewhere in the image processing pipeline.

Old 01 January 2008   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread