USB 3.0 Unveiled

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2008   #1
USB 3.0 Unveiled

Quote: Get ready, speed freaks. USB 3.0, the oft-rumored, much-discussed, rarely seen new standard heading our way has been spotted, sliced, chopped, and diced at CES 2008. Actually, we just got a chance to check the connectors and compare with the old 2.0 standard (which the reps tell us is backward compatible, of course). With speeds of 4.8 Gbit/s (600 MB/s), and a powering system which intelligently cuts the juice when you're not using a device, we have a feeling you'll want. Too bad we all have to wait till 2010... the year we make contact... with USB 3.0.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/10/...0-in-the-flesh/

Old 01 January 2008   #2
2010? What's the hold up?

Faster is always better, but I honestly didn't feel that USB 2.0 was all that slow to begin with... and when I wanted even faster speed, I would use FireWire with my portable HDD.

Old 01 January 2008   #3
HAAA ! I really hope they change the design of the plug !
Nothing more anoying than trying to plug a USB device ! always end up trying to plug it the wrong way around ! Hope they will learn from apple's FIREWIRE plug design.

I think USB is on of the worse plug design I've seen on computers...

Old 01 January 2008   #4
Ya know, I agree with you that USB (the large one) is the worst designed connector, but the LAST thing I wanna see is ANOTHER connector design. There are what, like 3 different sizes for USB? The smaller connectors are not as bad as teh large one since they aren't rectangular, hopefully this 3.0 standard will only use the 2 smaller connectors.

Also, is 3.0 the same as the Wireless USB that has also been proposed?

Old 01 January 2008   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread