Footage alpha as a matte object?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2008
Footage alpha as a matte object?

I have footage with an alpha on a plane. The footage looks great. It's cutout and everything. So that's good.

Problem is that i need that footage as a matte object. But it won't recognize the alpha. Only the plane. So i'm getting a big square as my matte object.

Is there any way for cinema to recognize the footage alpha as a matte object? I hope so! It'll make my life a lot easier! Thanks a lot!

01 January 2008
If the footage has an alpha channel you can select it like any other images alpha or other channel in the bitmap shader settings.
Cheers
Björn

10 October 2008
Same problem here...

This falls under the usual "When will C4D fix the various alpha/trans/DOF/multipass issues?"

Just rendered out a massive scene with tons of objects. Some of the objects are flat planes with bitmap textures using alpha channels. I'd assigned Object Buffer IDs to those planes, and when rendered out the ID buffer alphas work correctly and knock out other objects in the scene as needed using the bitmap alpha. Now I have to go back and render one of the elements from that scene that gets overlapped by the bitmap planes, I figured I would just switch on "Matte Object" in the Compositing tag for those planes. But noooooooo. Instead of the bitmap alpha knocking out the underlying objects, the plane itself is doing it (as usual). So annoying. Pretty please Maxon, instead of adding another gizmo just fix this singular issue. I know there are tedious workarounds, but it's such a very elemental thing, and should be finally addressed.

10 October 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread