Featherweight Boxer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2007
Featherweight Boxer

Hello brothers and sisters and whomever inbetween,

Started a model sometime ago.
Always wanted to model a boxer. I didnt go with the generic "beefy" boxer but the other way around. Giving as much personality to this sob as i could.
The polycount is 7100 triangles.
This is the model with normal map applied:

This the wireframe:

I used Arsh's base (with some tweaks- e.g. added loops for eyes and added mouth with inards) for the primitive sculpting in zb3. Later i did a whole retopology of the body (needed to learn that).

need to finish this asap to complete my portfolio so i can apply for an internship (probably at Silicon Kinghts-hope they allow internships)
Hope you like it

C and C welcome

12 December 2007
hey looks cool man ! only problem i see is that you seem to be avoiding tris in the lowpoly ? thats not very smart to do, also if you used only needed polygons your polycount would be reduced by half

12 December 2007
Hello everyone

OK so im done with PHASE 1 of texturing the boxer.
Was about to quit on the textures but a friend helped me through it
Fixed seams in zb for the first time! for all those who have zb and dont fix your seams, SHAME ON YOU! yes YOU!in the leather pants! @_@

12 December 2007
haha jhonny you gotz me with the abs thing lol. I love triangles actually, dont know why i didnt think about adding tris before :\ The only "hot" place where i see that tris could be used is the abdomen mainly. Any place else you'd like to point out?

thanks alot for replying

p.s.
BIG BIG BIG BIG fan

edit:
also keep in mind that i dont think i have any polys which arentn either contributing to the silluheutte or the deformation. except the abdomen XD

Last edited by OsharpO : 12 December 2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: HUGZ!

12 December 2007
mmmm butt your texture is getting better dont drop the model yet,you can fix the texture with a little work.

01 January 2008
Hello everyone

Finished the boxer.
Im glad genc(fuxer) gave him some "love" in the end

Wires:

Rigged,posed,lighted and rendered by genc

01 January 2008
I do like the fact you went for a thiner boxer more lean and defined. I do have a pet hate of really high specular level normal maps especially on flesh and fabric so maybe reduce the spec value?. Just hurts the realsim and makes him look like an action figure.

01 January 2008
I do agree that the speculars could be toned down abit, but you do have to keep in mind to make him look as if he is sweating/sweaty. Its a hard balance to find. Plus the
trunks are highly reflective in real life aswell.However, i think i do agree taht they could be abit lower.

Heres another render i did (thanks oto genc ). Did a random paint thing on it. To some degree, i do think it is better in the "plastic" looking department, but then again,
he doesnt look sweaty nor are the trunks reflective

I think we need a balance?

Thanks

01 January 2008
Maybe a spec map that highlights certain areas to be more ¨sweaty¨ could be cool indeed. You don t sweat the same from everywhere so that could work. The 2nd render is better

01 January 2008
I am here to murder someone...

They invented, and they were ****ing happy too they did, normal mapping enabling the specs to be near enough untouched but the quality of models increased. For example, you were told for a boxing game 1k tris is the absolute max for user spec reason blah blah, however you and other colleges who would have been working on this boxing title felt it were important to have muscle definition etc in it for the realism factor. Boss says "No Problem!" we've got normal maps... yay! - I think.

Well I am saying this because you wasted so many polys on abs muscle bumps that could easily been bumps out with a normal map since you already planned to use it. Texture is spot on, mesh a is no n, specular needs to be grainier if the boxer were wearing a greasy sun-lotion.

Other then that, if you were to show this to a professional company some might feel insulted by the fact they were forced to make low poly stuff and bump in it up with normal mapping.

What do you think?

01 January 2008
I don't know what you are driving at ( cfel ).
Normal maps are two dimensional so are no replacement for geometry detail for
anything but the smallest things ( like veins ). There is nothing wrong with modelling
muscle form etc. with polygons.

Quote: Other then that, if you were to show this to a professional company some might feel insulted by the fact they were forced to make low poly stuff and bump in it up with normal mapping.

What does that mean ? We ( a professional company ) always aim to keep our poly counts as low as possible and add detail with normal maps....it's the way it's done...

I am not having a go at you, just clearing a few things up...

I like the boxer BTW, but his shorts look like they are made of plaster or something ( they look too 'stiff'.

01 January 2008
Thumbs up

I'm driving at a pile of annoying moaners.

Just for you NIkLC, I am pointing out things that my tutor points out, with 10 years experience working in the games industry, I think he knows a little bit more than you do pal, so im transfering this to my friend Sahib with pure intentions of him getting a good position in a decent company. The polys is NOT neccessary on the abs, this resulting in NOT showing off the full potentual of the normal map.

Now that you have filled me in with your two pence knowledge, I am willing to see more of your other work apart form the samples you posted on this website. You call yourself a LeadArtist, to what i have seen you couldn't even lead a dog through the park - and I am having a go at you.

01 January 2008
cfel-
Boxing games use an insane amount of polygons on their characters. In case you didnt get the memo, a normal map is not the same thing as geomtry. The meshflow on this model is very good and all of the polygons help define the shape, they arnt wasted polys.
The game industry has changed quite a bit, maybe your tutor needs a refresher course himself.

Anyways i think the piece is pretty good. I think the spec needs work. And i think you should work on the tatoos because they look really fake/bad right now.

01 January 2008
Ha ha. You students. You do make me laugh. And your tutors. If your tutor was any good he'd be doing not teaching.
I have been in the industry since 91, sunshine, so don't give me any of that crap. I hope that one day your CV and PF will drop onto my desk.
I am reporting your infantile post.

01 January 2008
yeah the mesh is a big mess , there are polys used that dont even contribute to the silhouette or deformation, those are polygons weirdly spent , about modeling the muscles, nowadays, polygon counts are less important than draw calls , anyway i have a link that is perfect for this case :

http://boards.polycount.net/showfla...ge=0#Post249534

Also i would work a bit more on the specular map of the shorts, i know what type of material you wanted to go for there, but for that the specular shine should be almost the same as teh color of the tissue and not white Also his abs are insanely wide .

good job nontheless !

Thread Closed share thread