ae ram preview

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2007   #1
ae ram preview

i was wondering, cause i'm new to ae and premiere cs3
i'm trying to add effects in ae but with the ram preview taking so long each time u add an effect how do you save it so that ram preview is saved as well. because i'm also wondering how motiongraphers time their effect to the music. its pretty easy using premiere but i have no idea in ae. especially with ram preview taking so long everytime you do it and no cutting of clips

sorry about the newbie question. i'm really exited to get started on this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time

Old 11 November 2007   #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnicco48
i'm trying to add effects in ae but with the ram preview taking so long each time u add an effect how do you save it so that ram preview is saved as well.

You can't really "save" RAM previews. Every time you add or modify a layer or effect, or load a saved project, it essentially flushes your RAM cache and starts over, and that's just the reality of working with After Effects unfortunately. How much RAM do you have in your machine? AE RAM previews consume a lot of memory, and you should really have 3GB RAM or more. Either way, make sure you have Disc Cache enabled in the preferences, and point the Disc Cache to a drive other than your main hard drive. The other way to handle this is to minimize the number of RAM previews you must do while working. After a while, you will get better at doing a larger number of tasks before previewing, then adjusting to taste.

Quote:
because i'm also wondering how motiongraphers time their effect to the music. its pretty easy using premiere but i have no idea in ae.

Again, since AE isn't an editing app you do need to adjust your workflow for things like this. On the timeline, select the layer that contains the timing events (such as an audio track etc). Do a RAM preview and press the * key every spot where a timing event happens, such as a drum hit or whatever your timing cues are. When you stop the RAM preview, markers will have been added to your layer that can be shifted around if needed, and give you targets for each timing event. You can even double-click them and add a label to each marker. Now you can shift the other layers to time up to these markers as needed.

Quote:
...especially with ram preview taking so long everytime you do it and no cutting of clips

You CAN cut clips in AE. Select the clip, move the timeline playhead to where the cut should be made, and press CTRL>SHFT>D (Command>Shift>D on the mac). This will split the selected layer wherever the playhead is located.

Old 11 November 2007   #3
Thumbs up

wow, thanks a lot this guide just basically jumped me started. Like I said in Premiere its' a lot easier to time and preview things. BTW I have 2 gigs of RAM. I'm gonna be going to class soon in multimedia and before then i wanna start learning the basics. I really can't wait to incorporate my disign into motion.

So far this is one the best forums i've been to, i posted about 4 other threads in other forums and nobody replied :(

thanks again and i'll be here ofter learning about other things.

Old 11 November 2007   #4
if you check this tutorial u can see the ram preview(green line) instantly ready to preview without actually have to render slow like mine lol and play with sound. his just instantly preview and whole clip

is he pausing and cutting his tutorial clip and not showing the rendering?

http://aftereffects.digitalmedianet...e.jsp?id=177779

Old 11 November 2007   #5
That's the way it works... it has to render to let you playback the timeline.

Old 11 November 2007   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread