Implicit Sphere - Can It be Zeroed Out?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2003   #1
Implicit Sphere - Can It be Zeroed Out?

heya, i noticed in Mr. Schleifer's Creature DVD that he used Implicit Spheres ( createNode "implicitSphere"; ) instead of locators or other primitives.

they're handy to use except that i can't figure out how to zero out their translation and rotation values (freeze transformations doesn't work).

is there a way around this limitation or is it inherent to what an Implicit Sphere is?

thanks!

-mental

Old 04 April 2003   #2
You could always group it to itself, that would zero out all the transfroms. But that seems a bit much for just a control object.

I use a simple polygon object, then delete its connetion to the shading group. Then you get an object that won't render, but you can still zero out all the transforms.

Old 04 April 2003   #3
thanks for the reply pyromania. i usually use a primitive or a locator myself.

i was just wondering why Mr. Schleifer would use an Implicit Sphere as a control object if it couldn't be zeroed out. i figured that there might be a way, only that i couldn't find it.

-mental

Old 04 April 2003   #4
Just so ya know. I didn't like using that poly method for, lets say, encompassing a head (for a rotate head control). This creates a problem I didn't notice at first. You can't select anything inside the cube (like eyebrows...) in shaded mode.

In its place I just use a cube made of a NURBS curve, or some other object.

If ya don't mind that problem, then the polyObject trick is neet-o!

Just my bit...

EDIT: oh, about the implicit spheres... I hate that too! What I usually do is just snap the sphere to the knee or elbow (i mostly use them as pole vectors) so i know where they are supposed to be at bind (and the joints dont move when you add the pole vectors)

Last edited by Doogie : 04 April 2003 at 08:20 AM.

Old 04 April 2003   #5
Heya!

actually, I don't use the implicit spheres anymore either.. I thought they were cool when i made the DVD, then I found out that they're just too much of a hassle, so I made a nurbs curve in the shape of a sphere, and it works muuuuch better.

implicit spheres.. ick!

-jason

Old 04 April 2003   #6
lol, I agree

They're fun to play with (and show off), but not really practical to use.

booo implicit spheres!

Old 04 April 2003   #7
hehe. ah well, back to puttin' around with nurbs curves.

thanks for the input guys.

-mental

Old 01 January 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread