Old 10-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Spex84
Know-it-All

portfolio
Chris Drysdale
Canada

Send a message via MSN to Spex84
Spex84's Prop thread o'learning

Rather than spam the "What I'm working on" thread, or create new threads for all my experiments, I'll be posting here.
I do not consider myself a 3D artist, but I'm enjoying learning all I can, as a break from 2D.
I appreciate any and all critique. Even "j00r m0d31 bl0ws" gives me some indication that more work is needed
So....
Hatchet; an attempt at photo-sourcing from a real object. Not really worth the effort of removing all the lighting data from the photos.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
iLegacy
Frequenter

portfolio
Simon Trümpler
Art & Animation
Studio 2 / Ascaron
Aachen, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to iLegacy
Hey i like it ! I like simple objects they are looking great. And your axe is looking great! !

Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
CADster
Vert mover at large

portfolio
William Ward
3d artist
United States

Send a message via Yahoo to CADster
"j00r m0d31 bl0ws" ... LOL

looks fine to me. a rather simple mesh so nothing to crit on that.
the textures rock. they look great. you being a 2d guy helps with this.

maybe something more complicated next time

Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
urgaffel
All I remember was shavin

portfolio
Peter Åsberg
Experienced Artist
Codemasters
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to urgaffel
That's a nice hatchet for sure. You should post the other stuff you did in this thread as well. Not much to crit really apart from the size of the texture, it could be a 256 and still hold up well I think (unless it would be used as a first person weapon, then a 256 might be a bit low).

I saw your electric box in the other thread and one thing that I thought of was that in a "real" game, you could use a specific texture for the electric box and a generic concrete texture for the concrete block. The reason for this is so you can reuse the concrete in other places, that way you get higher pixel density for both objects (you don't have to fit the concrete block on the same sheet as the electric box, thus freeing up more space). And you could do the grafitti with decals which could also be re-used in the rest of the environment. And I'm not knocking what you did, it looks good, just thought I'd share some thoughts on a hypothetical game workflow

Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
susia
Veteran

portfolio
Hannu Koskinen
Poor student
Unemployed
Rovaniemi, Finland

Send a message via MSN to susia
Could you might considering also posting texture flats? I can give better critique that way. You can always mess with the shader but texture flats don't lie.

That hatched looks good overall. The metal part could use some extra specular power (or the wood looks abit too shiny) and little more painted scratch detail to make it interesting. The black ductape looks abit wierd to me for some reason... looks almost that it was hand painted diffuse with shadows? Pop some lights to the scene so the spec and normal maps render better?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
Spex84
Know-it-All

portfolio
Chris Drysdale
Canada

Thanks! Wow, that's a lot of crits in a small period of time. Perfect.
Susia: I'll post flats when I can. The tape was in the original photo, but I touched it up. Perhaps too much.

Urgaffel: I started with 1024, so 512 is as low as I'll go for now :P
As for the electrical box, I debated for a long time whether to separate the the box and concrete, or to combine them on one map. In the end I combined them because I didn't have a specific game environment in mind. I'll post it, after I make some adjustments.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
urgaffel

portfolio
Peter Åsberg
Experienced Artist
Codemasters
United Kingdom

I look forward to flats too. Btw, I was just giving you an example of an alternative workflow, not saying you have to do it that way. Just sharing some of my experiences

Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
Spex84
Know-it-All

portfolio
Chris Drysdale
Canada

oops, double post

Last edited by Spex84 : 10-27-2007 at 03:52 AM. Reason: double post

Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
Spex84
Know-it-All

portfolio
Chris Drysdale
Canada

Urgaffel: many thanks. I'll definitely keep the modular approach in mind for later models.
Here's some more hatchet, and the electrical box. The lock has been removed, but I've preserved the textures in case I want to bring it back.
Are these images too big? I can definitely cut them down a bit if necessary.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
susia
Veteran

portfolio
Hannu Koskinen
Poor student
Unemployed
Rovaniemi, Finland

I'll just comment on the hatchet for now. I'll try to be over critical so don't take it as an personal insult.

It looks good, really good, but I think it still needs some handpainted work to make it pop. Specular maps usually tends to desature the map beneath so its best to add little saturation to them. The wood especially looks very desatured compared to the reference image. Maybe a handpainted color layer and cranking up the saturation on the color / diffuse could help but also adding subdued color layer on the specular could create some richness to it. The metal could also use some brownish or bluish color on the spec map. Also still reinforcing the blade edge with the spec more could help to define the form. These tweaks should be very subtle because it is really good at the moment and too satured spec maps tend to make look everything like candy. Always try to use a full range of values on the spec map instead of using only solid colors. You can always make it darker or brighter depending on the game engine afterwards.

The normal map that you created from the reference is really noisy, but it works. I'm glad that you didn't make it too 'bumby' like most of us lazy people do. I would try to paint the some simple deep cavities or scratches by hand and reinforcing them with the spec map. It might look 'unrealistic' but it will read better than a over detailed noisy normal map map.

The wood could use some wear and tear on the lower end though it doesn't show that much of it on the reference image. Also that yellow color splotch is nice on the wood. Don't take it off.

The hatchet works really well just as it is and I wouldn't spend too much tweaking everything. The main thing I would try is those colour spec maps. I'm not an expert with these things so don't take my critique too seriously. Keep it up.

Here is a good example with coloured spec maps. I think Pior Oberson did a wonderful job with the maps and umm... everything on this piece:

http://www.pioroberson.com/modelpag...rochallenge.htm

edit. clarified some sentences... too much coffee makes me grumpy.

Last edited by susia : 10-27-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
MichelangeloAlmeida
Character Cartoon Design

portfolio
Michelangelo Almeida
Freelance
Florianopolis, Brazil

Excelent!!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
susia
Veteran

portfolio
Hannu Koskinen
Poor student
Unemployed
Rovaniemi, Finland

Well... I don't know if I made any sense at all... but my bottom line was that use the reference as a base and enhance and make everything stand and pop out a wee bit better by hand.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
Spex84
Know-it-All

portfolio
Chris Drysdale
Canada

Susia: thanks! I agree with your points. I did hand-paint a little, but I can see that more would be good. I tried hard to avoid that "foam-rubber/plastic" look that normal maps can give. In fact, the only game I can think of that doesn't fall victim to that look is Mass Effect.
Color Spec maps: I have no idea how to do these, so some experimentation is in order.

Pior Oberson: Wow. That's a lot of awesome for only 512 textures. And he can draw, too. Wow.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
urgaffel

portfolio
Peter Åsberg
Experienced Artist
Codemasters
United Kingdom

Colour specmaps works just like a normal specmap in that it determines where the surface is shiny and where it's not. The only difference is that you can add a colour to your specular.

For example, old copper is mostly greenish due to the patina of age, but where it has been polished it can have an orange-y/yellow-y colour to the highlight. Instead of setting the specular colour as one solid colour, a colour specmap will allow you to vary the colour as well as intensity. Some engines support it, some don't. Used effectively, it can make things look awesome (Gears Of War being one example, the Unreal Engine 3 supports coloured spec maps).

Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
kromano
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kyle Romano
Surrey, Canada

Oh Spex, your texturework always makes me feel grumpy. Grumpy because it's so much nicer than what I often produce.

I know nothing of colour spec maps but it sounds like it's another new technology I'll have to familiarize myself with. Though the models are simple, the detail you push out with your texturework really gives great, uhhh... now I've gone and gotten completely distracted and forgot my train of thought. Anyways, looks great. Makes me jealous. Can't wait to see more examples. No crits.

SUBMIT BUTTON!

Thread Closed share thread