controling interfaces built with maxscript with another program to automate tasks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2007   #1
controling interfaces built with maxscript with another program to automate tasks

Hi there,

I've been reading up on how to control max from outside max itself, and apparently 3ds does not yet "support" programs such as python (maya does... im not sure exactly what that means)

I'm not a complete newbie at programming, but I have never yet done any programming where different programs are talking to each other. My question is this:

If I whip up an interface in 3ds using maxscript, how hard is it (or is it possible) to have another program (say VB or python) control it in order to automate tasks which that interface is build for. Is it different for interfaces that you make vs. premade interfaces in 3dsmax? Would this be called using max API? If this is possible, can anyone point me to any resources?

thanks a lot, im trying to get the scoop with my options at approaching my problem, anything greatly appreciated.

Old 10 October 2007   #2
Originally Posted by jectpro: apparently 3ds does not yet "support" programs such as python (maya does... im not sure exactly what that means)

Actually it does.

As for control, there are UI accessor functions within maxscript that could have events passed to them via dotNet or python, but i'm not all that clear on it myself.

I've moved this to the maxscript forum where you'll get better coverage.

Last edited by erilaz : 10 October 2007 at 03:06 AM.

Old 10 October 2007   #3
Originally Posted by erilaz: Actually it does.

how do you mean? what does "support" mean anyway? I guess there is probably more than one definition amongst all the different user groups?

Originally Posted by erilaz: As for control, there are UI accessor functions within maxscript that could have events passed to them via dotNet or python, but i'm not all that clear on it myself.

I've moved this to the maxscript forum where you'll get better coverage.

thanks!

Old 10 October 2007   #4
Originally Posted by jectpro: how do you mean? what does "support" mean anyway? I guess there is probably more than one definition amongst all the different user groups?

thanks!

My definition of support is that it can operate with it. I don't mean native support that compiles in 3ds Max.

The functionality to set up an OLE interface for the purposes of interaction with other applications such as python is certainly there. Did you look at the link?

Old 10 October 2007   #5
One could also use the mxsCom and send maxscript commands to max... it's one way offcourse, but maybe it can get you started!

-Johan

Old 10 October 2007   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread