BUZZFX
Freelance Artist for Hire

portfolio
Lorne McLean
Lead Concept Artist SMART Technologies
SMART Technologies
Calgary, Canada

Modeling In "Real World Units"

So as far as I can tell working in "Real World Units" does not work in Cinema 4D. Try creating a 6 foot human and then try zooming in. It doesn't let you zoom in more than 1x or 2x unless I'm missing something.

Why doesn't Maxon make the zoom fit real world units so when I create a 6 foot figure I can still zoom in a lot, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

I need to make a building in C4D for another application and if I make it in "real world units" in C4D it is very small and I can only zoom in 1x or 2x and then I'm out of zoom-in's if you know what I mean.

It's harder to judge the size of elements when you have to multiply them by 10 or 100 units. If my wall is 8' feet tall (2.4384 M) then why can't I build it this size in C4D? But the default cube is an unrealistic 200 m x 200 m in size.

If I build the walls 100x their actual size. So instead of having a wall an actual real world unit size of 8' feet tall (2.4384 M) I guess I'll have to build it 800 feet tall or (243.84 M) tall so I still have room zoom in and add detail like window frames etc?

IMO not working in "real world units" just makes the calculations more difficult to figure out. I can easily visualize things in "real world units" and so I can build them quicker if I can work that way. An average person is 6 feet tall or 1.8288 M, but to have to multiply everything by 100 just takes a little longer to figure out.

Tell me how you work? What unit of measure? (Feet/Meters etc.) And at what size do you create your models?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
abdelouahabb
too much pressure!

abdelouahab
student
Algeria

hi
1st why not setting the cinema 4d units to centimetres (working with inch, 1inch=2.54 cintimetres) or work idrectly with inches!
2nd, if you want to zoom to and area you must select it! so if you want to see the foot just select the polygons!
then, if you want a real control around your work, make a camera, this camera should not be used as a render camera, then play with its parametres, you'll get what you need, and never forget the S shortcut on your keyboard, just select and object or area and then tape S the view will be zoomed to your object!
hope this help

Last edited by abdelouahabb : 10-20-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Change what units you set Cinema to use then. All it changes is the way the unit is displayed, whether it has ft, m, cm, mm etc after the number, not the actual unit itself. Cinema units themselves are not "realworld", they're just an arbitrary value that you can assign whatever scale you want to, this has been discussed many times before.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
vid2k2
Expert

Make your scale to fit your item.

Say you need to build an iPhone.
Get the front pic as reference on a plane.
Size the plane to the material image.
You know the size is say ... 3"x4.5"
Drop in a cube primitive and set the divisions to inches or fractions of inches.
Make the cube editable and use this as a scale to model all the components.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 10-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
BUZZFX
Freelance Artist for Hire

portfolio
Lorne McLean
Lead Concept Artist SMART Technologies
SMART Technologies
Calgary, Canada

Thanks for all of your replies.

I have set my C4D units of measure to Meters. See my image. The tiny cube is 1.8288 Meters or 6 Feet Tall (The height of an average male). If I want to build my character at actual (Real World) size then I need to zoom into this "Tiny" cube and add arms,eyes, mouth etc. but it doesn't work because C4D won't let me zoom in that small.

All I'm saying is it's a pain not being able to work in "Real World Scale" I have to multiply the actual height (1.8288 Meters) by 10 or 100 so I am able to zoom in on the geometry to work on it. It would be nice to make my figure the actual size and still be able to zoom-in to work on it.

Maybe C4D will add this feature in the future.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

I think you're maybe not following. The units only change the actual ending. So use cm or mm instead. End of problem, you are then working in real world units/scale and no longer have to multiply anything because Cinema by simply changing the unit has multiplied up the base unit for you.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Bob3D
I need a new avatar.

portfolio
Robert J Palmer
Higher Scientific Officer (Operational Research)
HMRC
London, United Kingdom

I don't bother with units, it's just some text in the value boxes to get in the way imo.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
nycL45
LifeLongLearner
Leonard Marsh
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdelouahabb
...and never forget the S shortcut on your keyboard, just select and object or area and then tape S the view will be zoomed to your object!
hope this help

"S"? How about that, "S" works the same as "O"! Note: the axis has to be on the objective or near it to avoid frustration.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
nycL45
LifeLongLearner
Leonard Marsh
USA

I have 1/16" tile joints (model scale 1/4"=1'0") and threaded screws (model scale 1:1) I modeled on a lamp that I zoom in to adjust and it fills a good bit of my MacBkP screen. So, I am not sure why you can't zoom in. (It should be noted that C4D becomes unreliable when working with extremely small objects because of floating point/accuracy issues. This is for archviz something that needs to be fixed if possible. Many here will recommend enlarging, as you and others have mentioned, to avoid this issue. And then rescaling is necessary for Vray's IES lights.)

Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Rantin Al
Lord of the posts

Alan Harris
United Kingdom

If you need to work in real world units, pick an appropriate base unit.

To match your example of the average height of a man, use cm instead of metres.

By changing the unit to metres, and using the same cubes, the same scene could represent a couple of city blocks. Only the texturing (and maybe a bit of extra modeling detail ) will decide what it will eventually be.

HTH, Alan.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
abdelouahabb
too much pressure!

abdelouahab
student
Algeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycL45
Note: the axis has to be on the objective or near it to avoid frustration.
just use center axis with r10 it's integred, if you're working with previous releases use the plugin!, hope this is useful

Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
Tzrnutt
Know-it-All

portfolio
Mike Embleton
Designer
Agency
South East London, United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to Tzrnutt
Am I the only one who's never had C4D "run out of zoom" before??

Mine just keeps on going...

Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
nycL45
LifeLongLearner
Leonard Marsh
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdelouahabb
just use center axis with r10 it's integred, if you're working with previous releases use the plugin!, hope this is useful

Yep. I keep two, yes 2, buttons for center axis - top and left side. I use them so often, the labels on the buttons are showing wear and tear.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 AM   #14
rotifr
Lil' Monkey

Preston Nevins
Japan

One of C4D's strengths is in its interface "comfiness" so I think this is an important topic for discussion. Workarounds are fine in the short term, but if we can get clearer on what exactly some of us are looking for, we may run across a method that makes it easier for Maxon to eventually implement a beefed-up units system that's comfortable for everybody.

I have a scene that I set my units to inches to match with the existing plans, but I kept running up against the granularity of the zoom making editing cumbersome. When I read somewhere that the hair and cloth simulations work best at larger scales than this anyway, I gave up on working purely with inches and multiplied everything by (a fairly arbitrary) 15, which put everything at a world size that felt more "normal."

If C4D is unable to comfortably work with tiny fractions of its arbitrary unit, then what about having it display a different unit than what it's internally using? Like having a Basic Units option of "Inches (Optimized for small work)" where one displayed inch would internally be 100 or 1000 C4D units or something? That would keep unneeded complexity away from the user, while allowing C4D to smoothly work with numbers that the user thinks are tiny. Then when you export to different formats, do whatever unit conversions are needed to have it transfer at the size the user thinks they're using.

Pres

Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
nycL45
LifeLongLearner
Leonard Marsh
USA

C4D does that sort of thing with the Import/Export "correction" factor (Preferences) for different (CAD, etc.) software. Following your suggestion, checkboxes for enlargement multipliers could be on the next line and everything created and imported would be enlarged by the preset or custom multiplier the user checks. It sounds simple but my bet is, it isn't. But, it may be an easier solution than what would be required for the floating point matter.

The only time I have problems with zoom is when the Editor camera gets bogged down and the Focus/Zoom readout indicates 20,000 or whatever. That glitch is corrected using the Frame Default from the viewport Edit menu.

Thread Closed share thread