Help....large renders with GI

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2007   #1
Help....large renders with GI

Hi I have a tight deadline and my renders are way to slow. I have to render a 15 inch high image at 600 dpi with GI and lots of textures. The object has a bump which I have made atthe full render res so i don't lose quaility. I have turned off any extra stuff and only have best aa on the object. I have a duel quad mac with 16 gigs RAM. My accurecy is at 60 and samples at 400. Any ideas? I have not even finished the textures on it

thanks

Old 10 October 2007   #2
Originally Posted by rubyscooby: Hi I have a tight deadline and my renders are way to slow. I have to render a 15 inch high image at 600 dpi with GI and lots of textures.
I have not even finished the textures on it

thanks

hi rubyscooby,
maybe baking is your best friend atm.
but since i don't know much about it,
i would suggest (while refining your texturing) to
render your image at 1/6 or 1/10th of the original size,
save the gi solution,
and then render at full res using the previus solution.
all you have to wait is a full res render at the speed of the standard renderer. it worked for me.

Old 10 October 2007   #3
Thnaks i will try that. I have ,y textures as targas with no layers. I am not using procedurals so not sure if baking will help. I will try the saving GI solution though...
ruby

Old 10 October 2007   #4
Originally Posted by rubyscooby: Thnaks i will try that. I have ,y textures as targas with no layers. I am not using procedurals so not sure if baking will help. I will try the saving GI solution though...
ruby

well all that 16GB is not any help unfortunatly on OSX (at the moment) although the 8 cores are about the best you can do right now - unless you can render under FR2 with DR buckets or using VRAY or something with more advanced GI - maybe you can borrow an XP64 machine to run it on? that will let you access more ram then 3.7GB in OSX which may help on a large image if swap is being encountered.

i'm glad to see your post - i was thinking about some of your old posts a few months ago but couldn't remember your login name - a couple years ago now you used to talk about an in house plugin for export to renderman (or was it mental ray?) i think it was... i thought i recall you saying back then it may be released for sale?

i can't remember all the details and no time to now search for your old threads so i just thought i'd ask while i was here.

only other thought is if you can render that image a bit smaller and then upres in photoshop a bit (add a tiny amount of grain before) - usually for any output images that large when printed using stochastic upressing a bit makes no difference in the final output. sometimes it makes it better as the tiny bit of noise makes the final stochastic better then too smooth bands or gradiations. maybe you can render out to 15 inches at 400DPI and upres the rest - heck even at 500DPI then upres to 600DPI may save a lot of render time.

dann
-

Old 02 February 2008   #5
Cineman

Hi Yes that was me.. I was working on a film and Tim Dapper developed the renderman plugin for C4D called Cineman. I am pretty sure Maxon bought it. It worked really well. The plugin was integrated directly into C4D's render options. You did need to convert the textures though. I have not used it for awhile. I think Phil Hartman at Massive artist still uses it for all the massive work.

I am tied to a mac at the moment. I have been wondering if FR or Vray would be a better solution for us in terms of rendering. The bar here is really high in terms of quality and just sheer size of the output. It needs to be dead on perfect. My render tiles each at the moment are 10,000 x 13,000 Resizing in Photoshop is not an option. I have been using Tim's render tiles and need to do some tests to make sure the GI doesn't break when tiling. So far it looks good. I have not done any texture baking yet but am going to give it a try.

Any hints on improving quality? I have tried uping the bit to 16 and 32. I have also been playing with the different antialiasing settings. I am using very high almost real size textures with SAT.

Thanks Ruby

Old 02 February 2008   #6
If you don't mind me asking... and i render for print mainly, billboards, magazines etc...
why do u need to render/supply images at 600dpi?

I usually output a render at 12000 px wide at 4:3 ratio and still have to scale down for 48 sheet prints @ 300dpi (although they do print at lower resolution than that.)

Sorry if this is off topic, just curious as to your requirements?

Good luck.

Old 02 February 2008   #7
Vray the mac ..

As dan suggested Vray at WinXP64 is not so far away
As the new mac support winXP64 so you just need a Licence and a 2nd harddisk if you like
the complete settup needs 4-6h with bootcamp for a ready to shot machine

and you can use Vray32bit with 4Gig ram (Vray64bit coming in those days)
Vray gives a lot more speeed on GI Calculation and has almost no problem to render such sizes. there are several Tricks to speed GI rendering and the quality is very good

Have a look at the Vray forum

Old 02 February 2008   #8
Hi, Ruby;

I do a fair amount of hi-res poster size (24 x 36) renders for one of my clients, so I have some experience with this. As has been mentioned you can up-res in Photoshop but, for me, the results have been less than perfect. What I now use is Genuine Fractals 5 (about $125 at Amazon.com). It is far better for me than using Photoshop, and has the ability to sharpen or add grain within the program. They claim that you can enlarge over 1,000 percent with no loss of quality. I haven't tried an enlargement that extreme yet, but I'm pleased with the results I've gotten so far. You can check it out at http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2.

Hope that helps

Bob Dawson

Old 02 February 2008   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread