First time 2D Painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2007   #1
First time 2D Painting

First I must introduce myself as this is my first post. I have come out of hiding and observing the fantastic work over the years, and I have decided to seek out the opinions and assistance of the many professionals and other hobbyists here. I am a Student at Andrews University aqcuiring a degree in the Bachelor of Fine Arts: Multimedia Arts. Primarily I enjoy 3D work (and will always be learning), but recently I bought a Digital Tablet and Pen and am now venturing into Photorealistic paintings. With that said, this is my first attempt at a piece, still very much a Work in Progress. Please--any comments and critiques would be kindly appreciated.

- Mikel

Old 10 October 2007   #2
Thumbs up

Pretty cool stuff. Good to see you're getting started somewhere. I too just started actually posting my tablet stuff on here. Did you use photoreference for this? It looks really accurate to the human form. Once you go in and add some more values, I'm sure it will look even better. Keep it up.

Old 10 October 2007   #3
Thank you kindly for the reply, it is encouraging--I was beginning to wonder if it was really that bad :( . To answer your question, yes I am working off of a photographic reference. I've never done drawing really of any sort like this especially on the computer, so I'm afraid to do the face. Though I suppose it's all about diving right in, after careful study that is, right?

Old 10 October 2007   #4
Until you're ready to draw from memory, reference is okay to use, as long as you credit the reference photo if you didn't take it yourself. As for drawing the figure, you want to start out with a gesture drawing. If you're not sure what a gesture drawing is, think of it as the blueprint for the shape of the form. Just quick fluid lines that give the motion of a figure without a definite shape.

Old 10 October 2007   #5
Ah sweet! The reference photo was taken by someone I know (Lauren Sanford) when we went to the beach one day. The photo is of my girlfriend . You would recommend going from Gesture to the circles then to the more accurate form? What is the typical work flow following the gesture. And I really can't thank you enough for the help thus far.

Old 10 October 2007   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread