Spielberg confirms he is jumping into the Perfomance Capture Bandwagon-Tin Tin Movie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2007   #1
Spielberg confirms he is jumping into the Perfomance Capture Bandwagon-Tin Tin Movie

On a recent set visit to the Indy 4 set Spielberg confirmed that he will be working with WETA (and Peter Jackson!) doing a perfomrance capture movie based on the tales of TIn Tin.

WOW

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34376

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2007   #2
Talking

I wonder that what SFX will be used in Tin Tin ?

Old 10 October 2007   #3
Ah great! I've always liked tin tin , and I guess PJ is the best choice to do it!

Old 10 October 2007   #4
I hope the first movie is Tintin in America ..Its total non stop fun from start to end ..... I wonder why are they using Mo cap when animating by hand is definately more suitable for the series.
Captian Haddock should be introduced in the second movie like The Cigars of the Pharoh ..........along with Prof Calculus and of course to be precise the thompson twins

Old 10 October 2007   #5
Andy Serkis has work for life now.

Old 10 October 2007   #6
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: Andy Serkis has work for life now.

LOL, as Snowy, the dog? : )

Old 10 October 2007   #7
Wow. You think the SUCK that polar express and beowulf is would deter even speilberg to create such nonsense, but alas he has joined the ranks of the hollywood obscene…

Performance Capture. *groan* Granted WETA handles their mocap the best out of anyone in the insustry, but I just do not see Andy Circus in the role of Tin Tin! He could make a great Tin Tin's dad or whatever that old dude with teh mustache is...

Tin Tin, at least to the classical animator in me, does not seem like the best property for mocap and especially perfomance capture. Ugh. Monster House was only a semi-success because it had a cute original story – and to my understanding a large part of it was hand-keyed and/or re-tooled by animators.

Is it horrible that I want this movie to fail to finally put the abuse of mocap to bed?

Old 10 October 2007   #8
yeah. It's horrible

Bent Lama.

mocap ain't going away.
And it ain't going to bed.

It'll only get better and better.

Old 10 October 2007   #9
I'm in the same boat as Nathan on this. I just don't "get" performance capture. It seems to be an unnecessarily complex middle-ground between animation and live action that has none of the positive attributes of either. Motion capture makes sense as a production tool and has many useful applications (though it is sometimes over-relied upon). Acting, is, well, acting! Why on earth someone would want to degrade the performance of a Sir Anthony Hopkins or John Malkovich? Or worse, go through all the undoubtedly complicated hurdles to capture it exactly and transfer that to another medium?

Even if they were somehow magically able to capture every tiny nuance and detail of a facial performance, what's the point? Just leave the actor in there! Process the image if you have to, perhaps to match some fantastical art direction style or whatever, but leave them in there!

In Doug Chiang's interview on ImagineFX, he speaks of performance cap as something in its infancy that will someday mature into, uh, what again? They seem to be fascinated with the idea that they are attempting something groundbreaking and revolutionary, but I just don't see it - and I have a pretty vivid imagination!

Old 10 October 2007   #10
Originally Posted by DangerAhead: Bent Lama.

mocap ain't going away.

True. If prominent Hollywood execs and directors are fascinated by it, this is bound to happen.

Personally, I am very curious how mocapped Tin Tin movie will turn out, especially with Steven Spielberg involved.

Old 10 October 2007   #11
What the hell? forget about complaining about the motion capture....why is it gonna be in 3d?! shoudln't this be in 2d? I mean we didnt make the simpsons movie in 3d, why do it to this?

Old 10 October 2007   #12
Maybee he is jumping off the hand animated bandwagon.

The general public seems more acceptible to mocap than hand animation.
They can relate to it better than someone that moves like a gummy bear.
Cg artist purists are the only one that have a problem with it. And I got a news flash these movies aren't made for cg industry folk.

Old 10 October 2007   #13
Originally Posted by rblitz7: What the hell? forget about complaining about the motion capture....why is it gonna be in 3d?!

2D doesn't fill the theaters anymore.

Old 10 October 2007   #14
Originally Posted by DangerAhead: Bent Lama.

mocap ain't going away.

read the type man...I said "abuse". I want the ABUSE of mocap to stop. I never said mocap was not a valid tool. I even bolded the word as to not be miscontrued. Jeez.

Old 10 October 2007   #15
The general public will flood the thearthers when they will see a 3D animated story of Tin Tin. Dvds of this will also sale like hot cakes, people will want to see Tin Tin on there expensive Hi-def tv or there brand new Christmas present Blu-ray or HDVD player. Sorry but that's the truth .

But BigPixolin said it best and needs to be pasted at least two more times,because he hit it right on the head:

one more :

As for the Simpson ,it has been running on American tv for years.When was the last time you saw Tin Tin on a US station on a kids T-shirt at Mc donalds ect... ?

I remember reading Tin Tin books only as a kid, on televison I saw it a couple of times, and it was all in french in other words decades ago.So a 3D Tin Tin for me will be awsome even i Mocap is used,I'm not in the CG Biz .. so all this details mean nothing to me .. just make it good and fun

Last edited by Malcolm7 : 10 October 2007 at 12:08 AM.

Thread Closed share thread