Pixar Confirms "Mars" Trilogy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
Pixar Confirms "Mars" Trilogy

The Pixar team has confirmed to the EBZine website that they recently made a trip to Edgar Rice Burroughs archives, doing research for a trilogy of John Carter of Mars films.

http://www.erbzine.com/news/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

10 October 2007
Su-weeeeeeet.

-G

10 October 2007
When I read the topic, for a second I thought; "The Kim Stanley Robinson" Mars trilogy?? What's Pixar gonna do with those?"

10 October 2007
wooo-hhoooo !

Website
The Otherworld

10 October 2007
I wonder if they will keep them in the vein they are in which will broaden Pixar's scope, or if they will change them to fit more in their own style.

I would have guessed a lot more change to the originals, until some of the Wall-E stuff that's been hitting, and Incredibles sure skirted some interesting and very modern relationship dynamics.
Either way I'm looking forward to them... I'm sure it'll be a blast. Can't wait to see what they're thinking for the designs of John and Deja. Frank Cho's interpretations are pretty much what I see when I read the books.

10 October 2007
Finally, a company willing to tackle an animated movie that isn't talking fuzzy animals here in the USA! More power to Pixar!

The incredibles was a great step, WALL-E is going to be my next geek-out movie, and now I can't wait for this project!

10 October 2007
I believe I read a bunch of the comic books way back when. That's the mars story that had aliens with four arms. Kind of like Conan the Barbarian in space. That's a stretch for the normally stretchy characters of Pixar.

10 October 2007
I will be VERY surprised if this turns out even remotely faithful to the books....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Princess_of_Mars
Quote: Except for some jewelry, all of the planet's races seem to eschew clothing and look down upon Earth's inhabitants because they do wear clothing. Burroughs describes Dejah Thoris thus:

And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life.... Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect. She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure.

this much nudity will get a PG-13 instantly, add the violence and you're looking at an R...and even though it's Pixar it's Disney that will distribute...and they don't do stuff like this....

A Princess of Mars is not a cartoon, and it wasn't written for 8 year olds...

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by Venkman: Finally, a company willing to tackle an animated movie that isn't talking fuzzy animals here in the USA! More power to Pixar!

Pixar never did "talking fuzzy animals". They were Toys, Bugs, Mosters, Fishes, Cars.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by cganimator: Pixar never did "talking fuzzy animals". They were Toys, Bugs, Mosters, Fishes, Cars.

Well, a rat is pretty fuzzy... The thing is that though Ratatouille might seem to come closest to that cliché I think it's their most mature/adult movie to date.

-k

10 October 2007
I think they will keep the spirit of the story and really it wouldn't need to be overly violent. I'm sure they are not afraid of the PG-13 rating as they have made PG13 rating before at Disney.

It would probably be equivalent to Pirates of the Caribbean in violence and other rating criteria.

And to think of nudity. I think there are ways around it like a skimpy outfit. It would not be the first time. From Little Mermaid, Jasmin and Belle. They have shown busts, midrifs and legs on many occasion. So I think they can pull it off.

Disney has played it's part in PG13 and R rated films in it subsidaries.

I think this one will be PG or PG13. Somewhere in between. Implied violence and nudity.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by cganimator: Pixar never did "talking fuzzy animals". They were Toys, Bugs, Mosters, Fishes, Cars.

I never meant to imply they do, only that Pixar seems to push American animation a little more than other companies.

I love me some Pixar.

10 October 2007
Quote:
I love me some Pixar.

Agreed!

Maybe they will do it under a different name or format or for a different target audience... and for them to be talking about 3 films is a little different than their norm.

I wouldn't put it past those guys to do something completely and radically different than anyone is expecting!

I love these stories, and it's a shame that some of the content will probably be zeitgeisted. John is a confederate soldier, and there's a lot of fighting Indians/Native Americans in the beginning that leads to this really strange and beutiful reflection about how the "green" martians and "red" Indians are simultaneously more advanced and more primitive than John's South. It's part of the heart of the story that could get diluted really quickly because it's not told in a pretty way at all, but in a rather fierce fashion that is unique to these stories.

10 October 2007
I'm curious about the style...to try and do realistic human animation keyframe is madness....and Pixar is so anti-mocap I can't believe they'd even consider that. So it would either need to be heavily stylized (which feels a bit odd for this material) or....maybe they'd do a (gasp!) live-action CG hybrid! ala' 300. Hmmmmm.....

Tim Miller
blur

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by Tim Miller: I'm curious about the style...to try and do realistic human animation keyframe is madness....and Pixar is so anti-mocap I can't believe they'd even consider that. So it would either need to be heavily stylized (which feels a bit odd for this material) or....maybe they'd do a (gasp!) live-action CG hybrid! ala' 300. Hmmmmm.....

Tim Miller
blur

That might be interesting, actually. A mix of live action and CG. I saw their underwater tests for Finding Nemo side by side with live footage (it's an extra on the DVD) and I was blown away. They are certainly capable.

Thread Closed share thread