CGTalk > Gallery > Featured Videos
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
djullz

[short film from Supinfocom] Switch

Hi everyone,

I just graduated from Supinfocom, and made a short film with a classmate called Switch. You may see it there : www.switch-lefilm.com

Here a picture from the film...

I tried to put a high res given your feedback on Doggy Bag , but I didn't wanted to make you wait to much to load it so it's highly compressed...

The film festivals are just starting for us now, and I attended the China International Cartoon and Digital Animation Film Festival in Changzhou, near Shanghai. It was great, with many people worldwide. I took a few pictures from there.

I'm now in Vancouver Film School as an exchange student to make another short...

Your feedback and comments are eagerly awaited !

Old 10-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
droidoz
Frequenter

Matthijs Joor
3D/2D Artist
PostPanic
Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to droidoz
Awesome.. no other words!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
OJK
Veteran

portfolio
Oliver Kling
Digital Artist
Babelsberg Film School
Potsdam, Germany

Visually very nice and a clever concept!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Steelhelmet
Computer trained monkey

Simon Boyks
Germany

Thumbs up

Love it. I don't got the whole plot, but i love, love, love, love it. Are you going to add English text to your page? My French is all rusty (and been poor before). The breath animation is very convincing... when he picks up the suitcase, his right foot floats 1 or 2 pixels over his shadow before he makes the final step to reach for it (I just wanted to give at least one critic point ).

Thanks for sharing

Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #5
djullz

Thank you droidoz, OJK and Steelhelmet for watching ! I'm glad you like it. There's a certain freedom in the plot interpretation. Thanks for the critic about the suitcase, we noticed that and wanted to correct it, but we had to finish it on time, and with only two people it was tight. I would bear in mind later : no mistake in animation. It's immediately noticed.

I would like to translate the French pages into English (the making of and the production notes) but I'm afraid I would do numerous mistakes in translation, and there's so much to do...

But if I have some time I may do it. I was thinking to post as well the research we made for the music and ambiance sounds, as we experimented a lot and didn't kept much on the film.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
Obaid3DFX
Frequenter

portfolio
Mohammed Obaid
3D Designer and Animator
Visionary FX
Qateef, Saudi Arabia

Thumbs up

wonderful concept.....

Old 10-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
dickma
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dick Ma
/
/
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to dickma Send a message via AIM to dickma Send a message via MSN to dickma Send a message via Yahoo to dickma
I do give personal comments to Jean-Julien via mail and it is what I say to him:

Hi Jean-Julien.

I saw your movie and congratulation for your first 3D animation.

Because the animation is an artistic one so I don't wanna do critiques
base on the animation rules.

I would like to say I love the storyboard more than the actual
animation. Although the animation is a stylish one, however, it will
become bored if there's too much clones without a unique character
that do something different, like the storyboard.

Dick.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
ivanisavich
Some kind of robot

Tyson Ibele
Animator
MAKE LLC.
Toronto, Canada

Wow! I absolutely loved it....the whole "cycle of life" was portrayed fantastically, and some of the subtle motion you gave your character (despite the characters' simplicity) really brought him to life.

It's a shame a lot of top-level film festivals don't accept student work...I could see something like this being short-listed for the Oscars.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
Banshax
Animator
portfolio
Henk Kok
Character Animator
Netherlands

The process behind the film is awesome. I really enjoyed watching your research. Its a film where the process matters as much as the film itselve simply because you guys had so many different idea`s.

I loved the part where all the guys just make a run for that final gate, the film really shines at that moment and It`s a joy to watch.

Honestly Its a short best watched in a movie theatre. It just requires a big screen, darkness and lots of sound. Really nice job!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
djullz

Thanks again, to you DickMa, Ivanisavich and Banshax ! For watching and giving me your feedback ! That's really nice to hear a bit from people who watch your work ! Thanks for CGTalk making this possible as well.

Thanks for your critics. Dickma, i think you're right as well, but as we were only two to make it, within 6 months of prod, and learning everything in rigging, animation, etc. we had to make only one character. I'll keep in mind for next time though.

Ivanisavich, I'm glad you like it, i don't think it could be compared to the films going to Oscars , but if you know how to apply let me know haha.

And Banshax, thanks a lot looking at our research as well ! When i did it i thought it was useless and nobody would actually go through the making of page. I'm glad some people do. Hehe, it's true, it's a much different experience being in a theatre . Hopefully we could see it there during our graduation. It was an unique moment !

Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
BartokDesign
ninguem

portfolio
mauricio Bartok
3d generalist
Brazil

Send a message via MSN to BartokDesign Send a message via Yahoo to BartokDesign
I loved the idea , amazing, the animation sometimes I think its good , some very good,its always the problem when to animate a kind of (real) human ,its hard.
Anyway I loved it,

Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #12
Sythe
portfolio
Jake Colburn
Antioch, United States

Send a message via AIM to Sythe Send a message via MSN to Sythe
translated page

http://translate.google.com/transla...Flanguage_tools
i dont know if this top link will work but google language tools can ranslate the page so it gets most or all into your language.
http://www.google.com/language_tools

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #13
djullz

Hey Sythe, thanks for that, i seem to work quite well. I'm not sure that the English is understandable though. I tried as well with this page : translated making of

And thanks Bartok for your comment. Yeah, human animation is pretty hard. I don't know what's the hardest, maybe you guys can tell me because I guess many people there have experienced animation much more than i did. What's the hardest to animated between a realistic human and a cartoon character. Cartoon need more interpretation from reality, but anyone, not only animator but also common people, can detect easily in a realistic animation what fails to be credible. And so quick. I got the most painful critics from the people who knew the less actually in animation. And I thought, wow, you should really make no mistake when you work on a film. Cause the sloppy shot will stay in people's mind...

Anyway, I'm also glad when people can go through it and don't focus too much on the technique but on the content and the feelings.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
Vexona
Vexona

Vexona
Student
College
N/A, USA

Send a message via AIM to Vexona Send a message via Yahoo to Vexona
amazing, 5 stars, this totaly should be plugged. was just incredible. great job

Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
richardoud
Character animator