Distance Constraint

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2003
Distance Constraint

Hey guys, I've posted this one in a couple of other forums, so apolgies if you've come across it before.

I'm trying to create/write a Distance Contraint in Maya (like the one found in XSI). to be able to contrain one object to a certain distance from another. (e.g. in a radius).

you can easily defin ethe distance between two objects using distanceDimension, but I have found no way of contraining this.

any idea's?

04 April 2003
How about using orient/point constraints and using the offset attribute?

04 April 2003
can you explain what you mean by this? by creating any point constraint you wouldn't be able to move the contrainted object at all.

I still want to be able to move the constrainted object, just not outside a shpere of influence - or distance.

04 April 2003
Well, suppose you constrain two objects together via a point constraint. Select the pointConstraint Node in the Channel Box. There you will see Attributes called Offset X Offset Y and Offset Z amongst others. You can use those to "translate" your constrained object since the Original translate values are locked in the transform node by the pointConstraint.
I hope this helps
Buexe

PS: Another approach would be to constraint a parent (group)node instead of the object itself

04 April 2003
Hey Buexe, first off, thanks for replying. nice to get some help.

as for the constraint, the only problem with the method you discribed is that I want to be able to move the constrained object in the viewport, not just the channel box.

and, if I do put limits on the values in the channel box to limit the constrained object to a certain distance from the other, it gives it a cube shaped influence, not a sphere of influence which is what I'm after.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread