Particles: curve flow through a lattice, problems

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2003
Particles: curve flow through a lattice, problems

I am driving a curve with a curve flow attached to it emitting cloud particles through a lattice. I have a radiusPP which receeds to 0 as the particles reach the end of the flow. The problem I'm having is when the particles reach the end of the flow, in the render, but NOT in the hardware preview, there is a lone particle that stays at the top of the chain, full radius and no transparency, laughing at my attempts to make something pretty.

I'm going to attach a frame before it reaches the end of the flow, and then after. Maybe someone can tell me WHY this stupid thing is showing up...

I need an answer stat, the project is due on Wednesday.

thanks

BEFORE:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flow_problem-00.jpg (3.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by thanatos : 04 April 2003 at 03:25 AM.

04 April 2003
Hmmm, I'm no expert with Maya and I am sure that there is a better way of fixing your problem than the one I am about to present

What if you throw a non-renderable plane at the end of the flow and make the particles collide with it, then add a collision event that makes the particles die?

I don't know if that will actually fix it, and it seems like a wacky way to go about it, but I figured I'd post it

Boo

04 April 2003
Ok, I "solved" the problem by adding a small but of transparency right at the beginning of the life of the particles. Apparently it was still hanging around from the beginning of the cycle? I dunno. Seems like a ghetto way of solving it, but hey, it's all about the illusion, right?

thanatos

04 April 2003
it may be that you only have an runtime expression and no creation expression.. then maya does sucxh things.
try adding creation expressions in which you either have a radius of 0 or a full transparency

cheers

alexx

(what you did helps as well

04 April 2003
oooooooh. that makes sense.

Thanks.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread