CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya > Maya Character Setup
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Zeusbwr
Frequenter
portfolio
John dough
north branch, USA

DT Video Question, How to Move an End Effector's Pivot without Moving the Bones?

Ok, i needed to offset an IK Handle and i remembered that one of my Digital Tutors Video covers this very thing. So i opened it up, and i see him simply Select the End Effector, Activate the Move Tool, hit Insert, and move the Effector Pivot. Simple enough.. so i go and do the same thing. But i cannot make it work..

For whatever reason, when i do the exact same steps, my IK Handle/Effector stays where they are, but the Joints themselves start moving in an offsetting fashion. What is with this? How can i move the end effectors pivot without the joints moving on me?

I assume its a setting DT didn't cover, as this same type of thing has happened multiple times, with them leaving out import information (even default settings that need to be changed).

Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
JYoung
Never enough time.

portfolio
Jason Young
Character Artist
Austin, USA

Send a message via AIM to JYoung Send a message via MSN to JYoung Send a message via Yahoo to JYoung
Do you have sticky turned on? If so, turn it off. I just did a test and it behaved exactly how you describe.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Zeusbwr
Frequenter
portfolio
John dough
north branch, USA

Yup, think thats it, ty

Through a long and annoying process i figured out that sticky is not what i need 'on' to get the FK/IK blending working the way i want. Rather, it is to have Snap off that is important. FYI to any other newbies

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread