Network Rendering Wireless

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2007
Network Rendering Wireless

Should i buy a wireless pci adapter to connect my 2nd comp to help render or buy some long ethernet cables.
802 G

09 September 2007
If you are doing sequential frame rendering, going wireess probably won't be a problem.

If you are doing satellite rendering on a single, large frame, then you will probably see a performance hit over wireless G...you should get a long Cat6 cable.

09 September 2007
I haven't done this many times, mind you, and I'm hardly a pro on the subject matter. But as a word of warning I thought better to chime in.

Namely, we did try to do a distributed rendering project for friends final thesis work some years back. Got a bunch of cheap computers and so forth. He chose to go wireless and certain problems arose.

We found out that the wireless signal was periodically lost. Just for a split of a second or so (later on we've hit the same issue on non-cg related matters). However, this had a big effect to his distributed rendering system which basically could not cope with that at all. It is likely that our problems were combinations of multiple issues and it would be unfair to say wireless was and will be unsuitable to other projects.

But, the moral of the story is that wireless may have issues under some (probably rare) situations.

Last edited by BlueTide : 09 September 2007 at 06:51 AM.

09 September 2007
Well im using vue6.5
would that be satellite rendering?

should i tile render instead?

09 September 2007
use a cable connection, it's stable and fast.
wireless is kinda hyped IMHO.

09 September 2007
Oh yeah, on homebrew solution do remember that at least over here (Finland) microwaves seem to operate on same frequency rate as the wifi... Better not do pizza while you are rendering.

09 September 2007
honestly, it'd probably be more efficient to grab a x-port 100 TX switch off of ebay or whereever and use that.

cheer,s

dave
daveATflickerdownDOTcom

09 September 2007
One word : Wired.

Wireless is just so unreliable, you'll end up with more headaches than anything else. Granted, putting a wire can be a pain upfront, but the benefits are always worth it.

09 September 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread