problems with caching and tearing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #1
problems with caching and tearing

hello again all,

before i start, just wanted to say thanks to all the people who have been helping me out with their tips and advice all the time.

so this is my problem. in a scene that i am referencing, i have an object and some pieces of cloth attached to it using the 'point to surface' constraint. i reference these into my working scene and everything works great.

i always begin by doing a cache right away, and this works great too.

so here is the wacky thing - i am tearing off some of the pieces using the 'tearable surface' constraint. the cloth pieces are basically cylinders and i do this by highlighting an entire row of vertices and choosing the 'tearable surface' option. then i keyframe the 'Glue Strength Scale' from 100 to 0 to cause the cut to happen just at the right moment.

this works great. it runs perfectly, and the pieces fall off as expected when i create another cache. but the odd thing is this, when i reopen the scene after being done with my work, the pieces of cloth that i chose to do the tearing on are right back at the starting point. the only way i can get them to move again is to go back to frame -75 (i am doing a run up of sorts) and playing the scene forward or creating a cache again. it is almost like they never got put into the cache once i did the tear on them.

what i have done so far as a test is create a very simple scene with a sphere and a piece of cloth, and reference these into a new scene. i do the tear, reopen the scene, but it works on this clean and simple scene. so it does seem to work just in a simple scene outside of our pipeline.

does anybody have any idea? has anybody encountered this before?

" . . . the essential in life is invisible to the eye, one can only see rightly with the heart." (The Little Prince)

Old 09 September 2007   #2
I had problem like this when the scene was too big.
Could this be the case?
Also are you checking if the cache is there or not when you reload the scene?
Can you see it in attribute editor when you select the ncloth?
I would also suggest to cache ncloth per object in sequence, not per frame, if you can.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 09 September 2007   #3
thanks for the reply.

when you are talking about the scene being big, do you mean too many polygons? or do you mean the scale of the scene itself in units?

either way i would say the scene is small. it seems as if the cache is connecting, but i will check again. i have not messed around with the scale size under the nucleus (right where the scale time is) as things seem to be working okay even if i am not using real world units.

btw, i made another post about this . . . do you know of any good videos or books about ncloth? i know it is new, but hey, who knows.

" . . . the essential in life is invisible to the eye, one can only see rightly with the heart." (The Little Prince)

Old 09 September 2007   #4
I meant scale of the scene.
On a second read maybe there is something wrong with referencing.
In these case I would suggest trying to import the scene instead of referencing (if possible).
Is ncloth working when you read it separately?
I would really read carefully all the blogs and do all the tutorials Duncan made.
It helped me a lot, plus some of his direct answers to question here in this forum.
There is also few tutorials on the net, and one of the recent books about maya 8.5 is mentioning ncloth, but I haven't bought it myself, but I doubt it went too deep into it.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 09 September 2007   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread