short animation: groth

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2007   #1
short animation: groth

Hello, everyone,

I worked on the commercial for the musicl even. And had to make a 3D logo version out of 2D and just wiggle around with it. But I've got carried away and made my own version for non comercial use. Well it was fun to play with SSS for the first time anyway..

Here is the larger image of a plant:

and here is the animation I've done(quicktime 13mb):
http://www.mediafire.com/?84bnzo7tf0b
Youtube version: Link

Hope you like the animation and c&c are welcome

Last edited by ExanJU : 08 August 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 08 August 2007   #2
wow that is amazing, loved it, wish you could make a tutorial or wip kinda guide to know what you u used to create this plant

Old 08 August 2007   #3
Red face

Serebryakov: hi, thanks for your reply, and sorry for not answering sooner. I was a little busy.

About the wip. The tools I used to create the growth effect were pritty basic, but I'll try to explain some of the progress. Althogh the software I worked on was Softimage XSI, I think this effect is easily achieveble in any todays popular software.

When I started to create model I alerady had an outline or 2D version of the ornament. It was devided in to 6 symetrical parts which were seperated in 3 mirrored pairs. So basicaly my work was almost 6 times shorter when it was suposed to be, if I to make the whole ornament from scrach.

I took the 2D version and started to draw curves along side its main body. Then I created a worm like object with sharpened ends. After that I 'Deform by curve' constrained it to the curve, streched, scaled and moved it in to the final position I needed.
Then I started to creat leafs and rings of the flower. But I created them straight only withside bends. After that I constrained it to the straight curve with several points. Then That curve was (with already constrained leaf) constrained to main body curve of the plant. Now, in sub_object mode, I could deform the curve the way I wanted, at the same time changing scale and position of the leaf so it would fit the requiered profile. The rest of the models all were done the same way. (the only constrain I used here was Deform by curve)
When I had a complete section, I started to animate it in reverse succession. Using animatible parameters Deform by curve constrain I scaled all the objects to 0 along all the axises and moved them back a little, so it would look like the leafs are growing from one point.. The animation was done to all the objects at the same time, then spread out along the timeline to create the feel of succession while the plant was groing. The waving was done, by adding a lattice box around the main curve, and deforming it. Then final version of first section was dublicated, mirrored and places in positions 6 times. The animation was offseted to add more variation to growth of the plant.

The rest was a play with sss parameters, scene lighting, optimisation, camera animation and rendering.

Hope it helped to anderstand at least a little bit about how I've created the plant.

Here are some screenshots of the plant:
1-2. Curves and model of first sections withought subdivisions.
3. A small sequince of how the plant grows
4. Complete wireframe look of the scene.

P.s. If anyone has a faster solution for this kind of plant growth, please let me know.. I would like to here other opinions, on how I did this or that, and what I could've done better/faster.

Fanks to all...

P.p.s. Sorry for bad poor english

Old 08 August 2007   #4
wel, i basically got the very basic idea. could u try to explain a little here, where u wrote:

"When I had a complete section, I started to animate it in reverse succession. Using animatible parameters Deform by curve constrain I scaled all the objects to 0 along all the axises and moved them back a little, so it would look like the leafs are growing from one point.. The animation was done to all the objects at the same time, then spread out along the timeline to create the feel of succession while the plant was groing."

what do u mean by reverse succession and how can u change the scale of the plant if it can be only deformed by the curve u attached it to? does it mean u changed the scale of the curve, also?

thanks a lot

Old 08 August 2007   #5
wow liked the design.. very clean looking presentation.. also could u tell me who does the music... it was wonderfull as well

Old 08 August 2007   #6
Radiospank: Thanks, the music is from the game called Silent Hill 2 .. Just one of the many cool pieces that are in there..

Serebryakov: No you don't have to scale curve, but it could give additional options for animation. The scale is made not in global or local modes, for the object, but for the constraint which is applied to that object.. The options in constrain should alow you to scale object alonge the curve.

About animation: I just ment that it is easier to animate in reverse. You go to last frame set the key. Then go to first frame, scale down, move along the curve, move the curve if needed then while you will play animation it will grow..

Old 08 August 2007   #7
ok gatch ya, thanks for great work!

Old 08 August 2007   #8
No problem, any time.. Emm.. well almost anytime

Old 08 August 2007   #9
thanks for responding

Old 08 August 2007   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread