CGTalk > Main Forums > Education
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
TerribleOne
Veteran
portfolio
Kevin Harington
Menlo Park, USA

Wanting to go to DeVry University.

Hey guys I just graduated high school, and am wanting to pursue and education in 3-D modeling for games. I always wanted to work in the gaming industry ever since I started playing the playstation one. I once worked on a mod team for Quake 3 :arena and had a blast doing it. Granted it was hard work and didn't really finish it

I've seen some schools advertised on TV that caught my attention. I was looking at DeVry University or the Katherine Gibbs School. Both look like they have very good programs, based on the commercial. A lot of the work looked good. It was really hard to find examples online of student work though.

Has anyone attended either of these 2 schools. It hard for me to decide because the student work i've seen is about the same for each school. How do these 2 schools compare to other schools? I haven't researched too many other schools. I think I just need to up and choose one of these, as they both seem to offer good real world education.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
CelticArtist
waterholic
portfolio
Justin Diamond
Modeler
Los Angeles, USA

I don't know your personal situation, but I usually (barring the Acadamy of Art in SF) make it my policy to never go to a school that has a commercial. I went to SCAD 99-03 and it's a good school, Ringling, VFS, etc. etc. all have benefits. It's my understanding that DeVry is a purely technical school, they'll teach you the software, but not the art, that's fine, but in reality, you can do that on your own.

It's my personal opinion, so take it with what you will, that you should go to school to broaden your horizons, enhance your mind so to speak. I can look in a tutorial and figure out where the modify-convert poly to subd option box is and what all the options are, but learning techniques to see light, shadow, form, color, those are things that a good professor can do but have no technical background in a tutorial.

This is not a field where a degree matters, even overseas jobs, if you have 'relevant work experience' then they can hire you. Go where you feel comfortable, if you visit these schools you're talking about, make sure that they're teaching you art, not buttons.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
VanillaChicken
Stanley nickle

portfolio
Kyle Scheall
USA

Send a message via MSN to VanillaChicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticArtist
I usually (barring the Acadamy of Art in SF) make it my policy to never go to a school that has a commercial.

Yes! I've been saying this for years. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
Agent Vesago
Frequenter

Send a message via Yahoo to Agent Vesago
I went to DeVry, not for 3D, but I wouldn't recommend them anyways.

Their curriculum is not the best and they are waaaaay too expensive.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:09 AM   #5
JYoung
Never enough time.

portfolio
Jason Young
Character Artist
Austin, USA

Send a message via AIM to JYoung Send a message via MSN to JYoung Send a message via Yahoo to JYoung
Do more research before making a decision. It sounds like you're only considering those 2 schools, and there's quite a few out there to look at.

As far as I know, DeVry doesn't even offer a program worth looking at if you're interested in doing game art. Their program is in game programming, and even though you might have a couple modeling classes, it's going to be a waste of time if you really want to do modeling.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
CIM
Listen up!

CIM
USA

Aren't they the school that advertises on TV using a poorly animated, untextured stock model? Yea, I really would want to go there.

Last edited by CIM : 08-24-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
mummey
I can make gifs too!

portfolio
Brian Walsh
Code Monkey
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleOne
I haven't researched too many other schools. I think I just need to up and choose one of these, as they both seem to offer good real world education.

This is a bad omen if you're too lazy to do any real research on schools. (No, catching a commercial for DeVry on TV doesn't count as research.)

CG is work. DeVry and others have created these "CG programs" hoping to get the cash from some unsuspecting people who assume that making games is as easy as playing them.

If you're serious about going into CG. Go do some research. Come back afterwards and let us know how it went; then we can give you some good advice. At this point however you don't appear to have a good idea of what you want, let alone where you want to go to school.

Cheers,
-b

Old 08-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
CelticArtist
waterholic
portfolio
Justin Diamond
Modeler
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummey
This is a bad omen if you're too lazy to do any real research on schools. (No, catching a commercial for DeVry on TV doesn't count as research.)

CG is work. DeVry and others have created these "CG programs" hoping to get the cash from some unsuspecting people who assume that making games is as easy as playing them.

If you're serious about going into CG. Go do some research. Come back afterwards and let us know how it went; then we can give you some good advice. At this point however you don't appear to have a good idea of what you want, let alone where you want to go to school.

Cheers,
-b

Harsh, but true advice Mummey, sometimes a good kick in the ass is what people need.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
JesseDavis
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Jesse Davis
Animator
Irvine, USA

Devry and similar cash crop schools (westwood college) dumb down our industry, and are only in it for the money by trying to cash in on the "hype" of 3d, and not offering any real education. Their commercials are an embarassment to themselves, and they offer no redeaming qualities in any of their advertising. (They have to advertise because their programs or any other work that comes out of the school doesn't attract anyone). I strongly discourage everyone to go there, because they are cashing in on the ignorant lower income bracket who think they will get an education easy, when in fact they'll just waste a bunch of money.

So in conclusion, go for it!

(unless you want to actually get a job anywhere)

Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
TerribleOne
Veteran
portfolio
Kevin Harington
Menlo Park, USA

Why is TV not research? I went online to see reviews of the schools, and DeVry had excellent reviews, and said their game design program is top notch. I've read many times in this forum "It doesn't matter what school you go to, it's what you put into it". If I put a lot of work into my education at DeVry than I can be just as good as someone graduating from Gnomon.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
Babybell
Veteran
Nicholas Cheese
London/Devon, United Kingdom

[QUOTE"It doesn't matter what school you go to, it's what you put into it". If I put a lot of work into my education at DeVry than I can be just as good as someone graduating from Gnomon.[/QUOTE]

Thats a good attitude to have. Even if it comes down to what you put into it, if your in one of these cash cow (think thats the expression) schools it might have a negative effect. Especialy if the teachers dont really know much and other students are there that arent really too bothered about what they are doing. (Then you all sit in groups moaning about why the school is bad instead of trying to work out how you can make it better)

[QUOTE"This is not a field where a degree matters, even overseas jobs[/QUOTE]

From what i have read, having a degree for overseas jobs does help. Not to sure though. Where these people just starting out in the industry Celtic, or had they allready been working in the CG feild?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
aesir
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Scott Jonsson
Art Director
Liquid Advertising
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to aesir
Quote:
Why is TV not research? I went online to see reviews of the schools, and DeVry had excellent reviews, and said their game design program is top notch. I've read many times in this forum "It doesn't matter what school you go to, it's what you put into it". If I put a lot of work into my education at DeVry than I can be just as good as someone graduating from Gnomon.

This thread is really ****ing funny. Yes, it is what you put in, but you'll be better off teaching yourself then going to a place like devry... These places use shitty teachers to teach their students, and those students become the new professors right after they graduate cause they can't get a job, and then you have even shittier teachers teaching there.

Oh, you find one devry grad who has half the skill of a gnomon grad and I will prepare of the second coming of christ cause its the end of the world.

Any program that is called "game design" will suck.

If you want to be a programmer, find a computer science program somewhere.

If you want to be an artist, go to an art school.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
TerribleOne
Veteran
portfolio
Kevin Harington
Menlo Park, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir
This thread is really ****ing funny. Yes, it is what you put in, but you'll be better off teaching yourself then going to a place like devry... These places use shitty teachers to teach their students, and those students become the new professors right after they graduate cause they can't get a job, and then you have even shittier teachers teaching there.

What's so funny about my thread? Your telling me that I (who has very limited experience) will be able to teach myself better than a teacher. I doubt it. The professors seem to be pretty credible in their bios on the DeVry and Gibbs website. A lot of them say they have extensive industry experience which I think is good. Anyway I'm going to apply to Gnomon too.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #14
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir

Oh, you find one devry grad who has half the skill of a gnomon grad and I will prepare of the second coming of christ cause its the end of the world.

Any program that is called "game design" will suck.

If you want to be a programmer, find a computer science program somewhere.

If you want to be an artist, go to an art school.

Post Of The Week.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
VanillaChicken
Stanley nickle

portfolio
Kyle Scheall
USA

Send a message via MSN to VanillaChicken
Quote:
What's so funny about my thread? Your telling me that I (who has very limited experience) will be able to teach myself better than a teacher. I doubt it. The professors seem to be pretty credible in their bios on the DeVry and Gibbs website. A lot of them say they have extensive industry experience which I think is good. Anyway I'm going to apply to Gnomon too.

Listen, he's just giving his opinion about the school. Which i believe is what you asked for in the first place. I agree with him, you would be far better off learning from the countless number of books, dvd's, even free tutorials than you would from going to devry. You say you have very limited experience so take that into consideration before you get bent out of shape about someone elses answer to your question.

Thread Closed share thread