sagleon
Pencil Warlord

portfolio
Leon Harmon
cg artist
N-Space Inc.
Elsewhere, USA

Mystic War

This is artwork for a game my friend is working on. I was given the go to go ahead and post it but i cant comment on what the game actually is and who is developing it. Please have at it and be as critical as possible.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
SmallPoly
Lazy Workaholic

portfolio
Michael Vladimir Nicolayeff
Senior 3D Graphics Artist
WorldViz LLC
Santa Barbara, USA

Hi sagleon,

I think the work would look better if the golem's pose showed some anticipation of an incoming attack (ex. bend the arm at the elbow to have the hand preparing to launch at the nearer wizard). Right now the arm leads you to a highlighted part of the clouds, which leads you right out of the painting. You may want to change the composition a bit to lead the focus better between the nearer wizard and the further one -- I didn't even realize that there was a wizard in the background at first because I was drawn to the busy detail of the golem. I might also note that it was difficult to make out some of the facial features of the golem's face, so much that it was difficult at first to tell that it was actually a golem and not just a rock-arm.

On another note, if this is meant to be the birth of the golem, there should still be lava flowing off of him at this point. You may also want to change the face and arm position of the golem to show more strain as it strugles to pull itself up out of the lava.

Lastly, you may want to find more reference on volcanic rock to get a better idea of exactly what kinds of rock the golem should be made out of.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
sagleon
Pencil Warlord

portfolio
Leon Harmon
cg artist
N-Space Inc.
Elsewhere, USA

Thanks for the comment. The image really was supposed to be the birth of the golem. I have just got some references for volcanic rock also. I see what you mean by the arm taking you off the page. Also you are not the first to say that the face is lost in all the busy shapes of the golem. I was so lost into creating the details that I didnt take time to look at the image as a whole. I will definitely take the points you have stated to perfect this piece. Thanks again Velenosangue for taking the time to critique this.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread