What Renderers are Available?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2003   #1
What Renderers are Available?

I want to know the renderers available for Maya. If possible would also like to know the detail of each one and the price. I was saving up for PRman but its too pricey.

Old 03 March 2003   #2
There is Mental Ray, 3delight, Pixie and Aqsis, my favourite. While mental ray for maya is available for free, just like the others, 3delight, Pixie and Aqsis need a RenderMan exporter like Liquid (also for free). IMHO, give Aqsis a try, it's a OpenSource REYES renderer. 3delight is a production prooven renderer, with support for ray-tracing. BTW: If you want fast rendering without thinking a lot, try mr, it will give you faster results than the RM alternatives. To make full use of a RM renderer, you'll need quite a lot of experience.

Old 03 March 2003   #3
Two other renderers: "Jig" (the price-list is here http://www.steamboat-software.com/jigavail.html ) and the "Maya Renderer" (which actually ships with Maya, I'm surprised nobody remembered that one.)

-j

Old 03 March 2003   #4
I just thought he meant external renderers as he refered to PRMan. One I forgot is AIR, but it's not free. And there is of course BMRT, though it might be a bit tricky to get it.

Old 03 March 2003   #5
Yeah I did mean External Renderers.

However JIG looks interesting. but it costs too much. I am trying out AQsis now! WOW exciting

hey does Aqsis work with particles?

Old 03 March 2003   #6
Have anyone tried Virtualight? I've seen a lot of tacky images done with it and didn't think much about it and then a few really good GI pics surfaced. That made me curious...

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread