nVidia Quadro 4 dual display

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2003
nVidia Quadro 4 dual display

Hi

I recently discovered that my nVidia Quadro 4 GLX 750 has two video outputs so I'm thinking of buying a second monitor.
I've tested it with an old monitor and it works fine. With the proper nView setting i can even set different resolutions for each monitor, which allows me to use my 22" at 1600x1200 and a second 15" at 1024x768.

My question is: does the dual display affects the card performance? Will it become slower?

Thanks in advance.

03 March 2003
Re: nVidia Quadro 4 dual display

Quote: Originally posted by twilight

My question is: does the dual display affects the card performance? Will it become slower?

No, but yes. Or I should say yes, but no.

It does not necessarily get slower just because there is a second display. It is the increase in pixel count for a viewport that uses the extended desktop space that affects performance.

In other words, a 1600x1200 dual display setup (2x 800x1200) using nview span is the exact same performance as a single 1600x1200 display setup. Not a single ounce of difference.

When you use DualView mode (in order to support two different resolutions) there is little difference in performance as well (just a tad of extra layers). There is a difference when you enabled enhanced multi-monitor mode which allows you to have OpenGL acceleration on both displays and when a window crosses both displays. This requires copying some data around which gives a little performance hit. Again, this is only for DualView mode (which is what you are using).

Don't forget to enable "advanced multi-monitor support" in the OpenGL options area.

03 March 2003
Thanks!
I think i'll buy that second monitor!!

03 March 2003
ive got that card and dual monitors! Works like a charm, you wont regret it. in fact: youll wonder how you ever lived without it.

E.T

03 March 2003
I'm already wondering!!!!

I'm not so happy with the 15" lcd monitor though... i'd rather have a 19" crt.
oh well, i'll get used to it.

Thanks for the support

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread