Outpost - VFX challenge - azazel & Selim

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2003
Outpost - VFX challenge - azazel & Selim

Hi all,

This time, together with my brother Selim, we decided to enter in VFX Challenge.

So let's start, here's a location concept (no alien buildings yet, still working on it )

Actual outpost will be located somewhere in the middle between these three mountains.

Source material:

It's a foto I've found at stock.d2.hu, lots of great fotos there, for free and in quite good resolutions .
Expect some more sketches soon, quite many things may change. C&C welcome

03 March 2003
I think that you can add some more details to this envioremnt. More of those horns or more and sharper mountains in background. It looks good so far. Waiting for more

Powodzenia.

btw thx for link

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left"

Space Hulk WIP

03 March 2003
Thanks .overflowed.
There will be an update soon, with more details.

03 March 2003
Well, that's how we want the outpost to look like:

We want to make camera zoom and pan, add some nice moving clouds, casting shadows on the ground, some activity around the base itself, airships, smoke, something like that

.overflowed, I've added one more horn tried to do more, but it was a bit too much

Now it's time to start real painting, everything above is just a rough sketch.

03 March 2003
Looking nice however the outpost is kind of small maybe build some more paremeter stuff onto it?

?

03 March 2003
Actually, when compared to the size of the trees, the outpost is quite big Hope to do quite big zoom for the clip There will be much more details on the outpost, and some more buildings around are good idea, thanks

03 March 2003
k cool i love the different style if you ahve ever played WC3 i was thinking some watch towers would be cool .. kinda like the Orc defence towers.. then maybe even like a big bird that has some kinda mount on him for an observation shuttle if you know what i mean

03 March 2003
I LOVE the first version! I think it looks a tad overworked in the second one; I don't think it needs the 4th "horn" in the distance and the outpost seems to make the image lose it's immense sense of scale. Can't wait to see more!

03 March 2003
Some more experimenting: this time colors are left as in orginal pic, added one more building and airship to see how it would look like.

Mangled Poly, now when I think about WC3 I like the watchtower idea.... Have to think about some way to have watchtowers, some ancient base design, and to keep the sense of scale ( Fasty) - so a lot will change. There's a lot of space, maybe even whole little city would fit there

03 March 2003
Plate has changed a bit.... found second photo of the same place, so I was able to stitch them in kinda panaramic plate. No other modifications for now, but hopefully "horns" will be back:

and here's very rough and dirty camera projection test, just wanted to try if we can do it Something better should came soon, but even now the range of movement is quite big

Quictime video, 605 kb

C&C welcome

03 March 2003
cool lets see it with buildings!

03 March 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Mangled Poly
cool lets see it with buildings!

Er, i think those curly worly tooth things are the buildings.

A very nice matte painting work! The new dinamic duo!

03 March 2003
The environment looks spectacular! What resolution are you working at? I want to see details!

03 March 2003
Quote: Er, i think those curly worly tooth things are the buildings.

Actually, we wanted them to be som kind of mountains, but we'll think about making them buildings

resolution is is somewhere around 200o x 1000 pixels...

update with camera motion will follow later today

03 March 2003
Ok, so here is second camera movement test. This time modeling is complete, but horizon line may need some work.

The camera movement may change

There's some texture flickering - due to small texture filtering.

camtest2.mov (2.52 MB)

share thread