VRay 0.50

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2002   #1
VRay 0.50

I have the last released free version of VRay. As far as I can see, there is no way to adjust things like SPecularity and glossiness in the VRay Material. I like how VRay renders thingsl ike DOF faster than brazil (I like brazil alot tho), but I can't do without those very basic materials properties.

Whats up?

D

Old 04 April 2002   #2
i could nt work out the vray material in the beta at all so i just use a standard material with the vray maps for refraction and reflection...the vray light in the beta is a bit strange aswell.....it s probably been sorted for the final release....

Old 04 April 2002   #3
Using Max materials... does VRay render all aspects of them properly?

D

Old 04 April 2002   #4
yeah max standard materials seem fine to me.........just use the vray map instead of raytrace for reflection and refraction.......i ve been playing with vray for a bit and i think its fantastic.........its just so fast!!!!

Old 04 April 2002   #5
Yes, I've been using Brazil for quite some time and it is great, but it is too slow and still lacks some things. When Brazil gets a full release out, I think I will like it more than anything, but who can tell when that will be. Until then I may try to figure out VRay. I love how fast VRay does DOF. It hardly slows VRay down for DOF, whereas Brazil goes like 3x slower.

D

Old 04 April 2002   #6
i ve been playing with brazil too ........its very accurate but like you say its far too sloooooow,if brazil gets them render times close to vrays id be impressed but i got a feeling it wont......i d hate to render an animation using brazil , id never get any work rendered:( ........its a shame cause it definately produces the best results out of the two but vray does a fair job in a tenth of the time

Old 04 April 2002   #7
I have rendered ONE animation with Brazil. It was not too great. It was near the time I started using Brazil.

You can see it here:
http://members.cox.net/fragenstein.d/folio_elise.html

D

Old 04 April 2002   #8
looks nice ...... how long did it take to render and what resolution.....everything i do is at 768x768(PAL)which is a pain ........ im trying to get my portfolio ready for video....ive got loads of scenes done but unrendered.....

Old 05 May 2002   #9
vray in anim

hi
i'v rendered a 10sec test animation with vray, it's buggy with GI.
there is some 'appear/disappear' spots here & there on mesh.
it's a shading problem that can't keep the shading "unique" w/ GI.
also, the GI rendering of vray is more flat than brazil & less Quality
the speed is fantastic! the version was 0.5
(i prefer speed/quality rather than quality/speed for anims)
ila

Old 05 May 2002   #10
Ila, if you save generate an irridiance map first, and use the saved solution that should keep the spots away. Also you might want to render the irridiance map wtih a low interpolation setting, then increase that to 60-100 for the image pass. Produces fast and smooth results..

Fragenstein: The Vray material uses reflection to generate highlights, just like the real world.

Oh btw, the final VRay version is a lot faster than the beta.

Old 05 May 2002   #11
thank you very much, i'll try that.
ila

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread