LW7 (Modeler) Camera Rotate

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2002   #1
LW7 (Modeler) Camera Rotate

Hi lightwavers.
I recetly stubled across this app and instatly fell in love. THe problem is , the only one I see, is with modeler. I used to the camera in the vewport rotating on the x and y and z axis but the camera when you using the mouse to rotate , does'nt do this. It changes direction depanding on where you mouse is relative to the centre of the screen.

Is this something individual that I am experiences or is it actually th app. Is there a way to make so it rotates like in composer.

Thanks

Old 01 January 2002   #2
ermmmm....

:confused:

Old 01 January 2002   #3
Um im not sure what your asking too much, I think your asking how to rotate the camera in layout and keep it centered ?

Old 01 January 2002   #4
hmmmm

I think a good glimpse at the manual about the basics of

modeler and layout would do him good.....

Old 01 January 2002   #5
Think he just has to get used to it. I suppose he is used to some other program.

Old 01 January 2002   #6
Yes I think you spotted the problem . I want the camera to rotate , like in max and maya . Is this possible . If so could some one tell me how.

Bytehawk I don't own the app , my uni does. I hav'nt got the time or the patience to look at lightwaves rubbish manuals. If there is an answer to this problem I would really appricate it other wise stop dishing out advice that is of no help to my self and other users with the same question.

Thanks

Old 01 January 2002   #7
I hav'nt got the time or the patience to look at lightwaves rubbish manuals

there is a very quick way of finding things out.....even faster than using forums. it does go all the way back to the art of reading.

try getting familliar with books and how they are often setup.
if the book was written by an organized writer/s then it should have an index at the end of it.

so. go to the end of the book, and try to look for camera or viewport..or rotate....or a combination of the 3.

there you will find the page that its located under, with info regarding the topic.

its MUCH faster than posting these kind of simple flaimbait questions... and waiting only to get flamed over and over for a few days straight until one person decides to be the hero and actually answer your question.

good luck to you.

Old 01 January 2002   #8
Hey Martin I wanted to thank you for your help in the modelling section.
Now on this subject. All I'm searching for a simple yes or no, its not a big deal. Its my week and and I don't have access to the manuals.
As you mentioned its not a difficult question so why not answer and stop giving me more usless advice on how to use a contents and index, please........

thanks

Old 01 January 2002   #9
Martin's advice is the best there is! Many of us hate using the manual I understand, I dont have the answer you're looking for as i have'nt used max, but the control configs are in chapter 3 if this helps. or somone that has used max and knows what you want to do can explain . It will explain better than i can as im not sure of the prob.

Please dont take people's advice as bieng usless information i think they are only tying to prevent you from getting flammed

again good luck

Last edited by cerreto : 01 January 2002 at 12:18 PM.

Old 01 January 2002   #10
In Modeler, hold down Alt and use the LMB or the RMB to rotate the object. It's as simple as that. You can also use the icon at the top of the viewport. Oh, you can only rotate in Perspective view, too.

Old 01 January 2002   #11
THankyou for the replies - I already tried that the problem is that in modeler the camera does not spin like in coposer. Do the same thing in composer and you will see the difference.

Your right I appriciate greatly the time of others and am sorry for lableling information proved as useless. THe point I was trying to make is that a simple answer is all that is needed.
We are in the virtual world here guys you think I care about getting flamed.. hehe

thanks

Old 01 January 2002   #12
Originally posted by kpalazov
THankyou for the replies - I already tried that the problem is that in modeler the camera does not spin like in coposer. Do the same thing in composer and you will see the difference.

Your right I appriciate greatly the time of others and am sorry for lableling information proved as useless. THe point I was trying to make is that a simple answer is all that is needed.
We are in the virtual world here guys you think I care about getting flamed.. hehe

thanks

btw, the pdf version manual can be downloaded from from the newtek ftp site.

ftp.newtek.com

The Lightwave manual is pretty good.

Old 01 January 2002   #13
The problem kpalazov is experiencing is understandable if you've ever used Maya (I've never used 3DSMax). I used Maya at university before I found LightWave, and since I've started using LW, I've had the same frustration as kpalazov.

For those who are not familiar with the differences:

(I'm not a developer -- my descriptions are based only on my usage of each app, and what they "feel" like)

Maya (and Max?) have a scheme of tumbling in the perspecive and camera viewports which bases the pivot point of the camera essentially at what feels like the origin. This might not make sense, but when you use it, this scheme feels extremely intuitive, and is much more efficient for moving around in your scene. It's very difficult to describe, but it seems to just make more sense.

LightWave, on the other hand, seems to base the pivot point of the camera on...well...the local pivot point of the camera (am I right about this?). This makes sense since the camera is just another object to LightWave, but I can tell you that moving from Maya to LightWave, I still get utterly confused sometimes when I try to move around my scene.

Perhaps it's just the way that my mind deals with spacial relationships, but I'd rather tumble my view in an arch (this is basically what Maya acts like) rather than "spin" on my pivot in LightWave.

I'd be in heaven if NewTek included some way to change the tumbling behavior of the camera so that it's mimics other applications.

kpalazov, mostly you just gotta learn to deal with it. I know how much it throws you off, but after a while, you'll be okay -- don't worry. It's quicker to adapt to LightWave than to spend all that time fighting against what it does. You'll just be a little messed up if you switch between apps good luck!

Old 01 January 2002   #14
Question

not sure exactly what the original question was about I shall now spout off random information regarding the camera rotation in LW as far as modeler is concerned:

If you hold "alt" and drag in a perspective view it will rotate the scene. Me believes (if I can recall correctly) there is an "imaginary sphere" in the viewport. You'll get different rotation results based on the position of your cursor based on what part of that sphere you are dragging. Try rotating an object with the cursor near the center, then try rotating it with the cursor further from the center or near the edges of that sphere.Specificly, you'll notice more of a spin or roation on the z axis farther from the center, and more of a turn or rotation on the y axis making the same mouse movement near the center.

In Layout I believe rotation is based off of the hpb values of the camera or viewport.

Last edited by gryn : 01 January 2002 at 06:01 PM.

Old 01 January 2002   #15
THankyou very much from from both potempkin and gryn vert usefull inforamtion. Exactley what I needed to know I really appricate the replies guys.

Potempkin I was intersted to hear that you jumped from maya to lightwave, actaully my thoughts are on this decison at the moment, could you tell me why you did this, and maybe the pos and cons.
Oh yeh don't mention the renderers I know maya's is not as good.

Sya and thanks alot

Thread Closed share thread