HMC 9: STAR WARS TRIBUTE: Boushh Frees Solo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2007
HMC 9: STAR WARS TRIBUTE: Boushh Frees Solo

There's no better time for my first foray into an HMC than this, as Star Wars has been such an influential entity throughout my life. I will be attempting to recreate the scene where the mysterious bounty hunter Boushh frees Captain Solo from his carbonite tomb.

EDIT: Some reference of what I'm shooting for:
  • Han in Carbonite
  • Leia in Disguise
  • Jabba's Favorite Decoration

Last edited by michaelshippy : 05 May 2007 at 10:40 PM.

05 May 2007
Finally, some progress. Here is the early stage of Solo's carbonite block. I need to add some ventilation slats to the top, and then I'll start carving Captain Solo out of it. I started on Boushh's helmet on Friday and will have some images in the coming days.

05 May 2007
I decided to put down the carbonite block for a bit today and restart Boushh's helmet. Here's the progress so far:

05 May 2007
ohhh, good choice! will keep an eye on this =)

~manny
LucasArts
Lead Character Artist
www.artbymanny.com

05 May 2007
Thanks Manny. Jabba's court is one of my favorite set pieces in the original trilogy, and seeing an Alderaanian princess skulk around there in a bounty hunter disguise was just classic.

Small update from this morning with more detail added to the helmet:

After a break for lunch I'm going to start laying out the scene and hope to have an image of that posted tonight.

05 May 2007
I put some shots of the original costume in the reference thread...good luck with it.

05 May 2007
Those shots help immensely. I've been able to find tons of good shots of the original helmet, but not of the full costume - particularly the boots. Thanks a lot, Chris!

05 May 2007
My update for the day. I have more details to add to the ear region, the "sensor" that pokes out of the left side, and a strap that runs around the back of the helmet, but as for the overall shape I need to put a stamp on it and move on to the other parts of the scene and the rest of the body. After those other details are added I'll cook off some renders of the other sides of the helmet.

06 June 2007
This is going to be a strange request, but has anyone ever seen a layout or blueprint of Jabba's throne room/court? I have plenty of still grabs from the DVD, but as I'm trying to lay out the room (especially the little corner where he hangs Solo) I'm having difficulty figuring out the transition between the arched alcoves in the back of the room and Han's corner.

I suppose if I still had Star Wars Galaxies installed I could just go into the Palace myself and see what it looks like, but alas I quit that game months ago.

06 June 2007
Small update for today, as I've begun roughing out the room and building some furniture.

06 June 2007
A very cool scene and very impressive modeling going on here. I raelly like it so far.
I used to play SWG aswell, but I don't have any snapshot of that room.
But it looks like you are doing a good job anyway.

06 June 2007
nice choice! can't wait to see more updates... esp Han in carbonite... that should be a lot of fun to do =)

www.3dmai.com

"the journey is of the chosen forks, not the untraveled roads"

06 June 2007
PKT: I went back and grabbed some shots from some other scenes in RotJ besides when Boushh is rescuing Han, and they helped. Particularly when 3PO and R2 are presented to Jabba and when the band is playing for him before Ooala is fed to the rancor. The throne room is lit much brighter at the time and you can see a lot more detail in these scenes. Plus, it kept me from going back and playing a video game under the guise of "research."

Whyst: Han is what I'm most looking forward to. After another day or so of carving out the environment, I'm going to spend a week on Boushh and then the forseeable future on that chunk of carbonite.

Speaking of the room, here's a small update.

06 June 2007
Wow Awesome Detail, This is gonna look good, I can't wait to see the adobe walls when you are all done with the lighting!!! Hellz yeah, You gotta have Leia holding the thermal detonator

Baron

06 June 2007
Nice work.
if you want to texture and set up a good light for this scene it can be pretty tough.
good luck

Last edited by shahabp : 06 June 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Thread Closed share thread