"Whoops!!!"-Hero- noktUp

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2003
Lightbulb "Whoops!!!"-Hero- noktUp

So my story idea is a little simple, cause I'll be pretty busy for the next few months, what with making a UT mod and all...

Character: Spontanious Combust-Human.

Setting: In a office cubicle. At CataTronic Technologies.

Time: Right after lunch.

Bio: Character has been working the same job for 15 yrs. His wife left him to pursue a career in "back door tricks".
His loyal dog of 9 yrs is senile and keeps biting him in the middle of the night on account of night terrors.

Mood: Character is depressed about going to a boring dead end job.

Story: Character enters shot from off camera and sits down at the desk. He stares at the computer screen with a defeated look on his face. He begins to snap his thumb and fore-finger in an involinery and nervous twitch. On the third snap, his thumb catches on fire. Startled, he looks more closly at his thumb, and begins to think to himself, to show a devious plan at work. "Now! Now iI will show them my true power!" he thinks vengefully.
Plan in mind, he begins to concentrate, a look of determination and focus washes over his face. A second later, starting at his feet (off camera), a wave of fire floods over him, then vanishes as quickly as it appeared, leaving the chared remains of a burned match stick. The only thing left unscorched is his thumb, which falls to the desk, starting a domino effect of collaps which consumes the blackened leavings of the inferno. And thusly, "Whoops!!!"

I might have to cut it down cause it feels a little lengthly (of couse I am very long winded so it'll probably be shorter on film), and the fire effect will have to be "represented" by something, like sprites or simple particles and it might look like arse cause i'm not that big on particles, but it should be fun to make though

C&C's welcome, and expect story boards in a few days.

Last edited by noktUp : 03 March 2003 at 12:14 AM.

03 March 2003
maybe i'll have him walk in to his boss's office to give him is come uppance!

03 March 2003
Good luck andy and welcome to the challenges

Matthew Tardiff

http://hummingbirdandthelotus.tumblr.com/

03 March 2003
noktup,

sounds good, but I guess it has to, now that your animating for two. I like the idea, maybe a little back story on why his thumb is invincible.

wiki wiki

03 March 2003
BackGround

Hahahahahahaha.
Ahhh, sweet, sweet chemicals made by my brain.
I'll crank out some back story rite now.

Thanks for the crit, B.

The Spontaneous Combust-Human: Background:

The Spontaneous Combust-Human (Esteban Nadaczek) was born to two unassuming parents in the rural part New Jersey (60 ft from filth in any direction). His father, Uri Nadaczek, immigrated to the States in 1986 to escape the constant burning sensation he felt from living in his hometown of Chernobyl, Ukraine. His mother, Maria Atonia, moved from Love Canal, New York, because of the high prospects of birth defects caused by the unnaturally dense concentrations of mercury metal found in the local water table.

The two met in a New Jersey hospital in 1989 during one of their many chemical burn scrapings. Two yrs later the pair were hitched in the proverbial "ball and chain" method, and a year and a half later, a bouncing Esteban came shooting out.

Very happy with their new creation, and worried for his safety, the two parents moved to a suburb of New Jersey, blanketed from the prying eyes of government satellites by power lines carrying tens of millions of volts. This paranoia was most likely the visible effects of dementia brought about by prolonged exposure to harmful chemicals and radiation.

As a boy, young Esteban was accused by numerous kids, of starting several fires around his neighborhood. Many criminal investigations were begun, but to unfruitful ends. A catalyst and method of ignition were never determined.

Poor Esteban would constantly complain about a burning in his hand, but this was dismissed as "School boy angst". It is believed that his body contains high amounts of catchonfireite (kah-chon-fy-rite), a substance previously found only on duh moon. Little else is know about this un-natural mutation, because those damn power lines are in the way!!!

PS. Love Canal, is an actual, factual place that was built on a nuke waste dump site. I laughed for 31 minutes.

Last edited by noktUp : 03 March 2003 at 11:49 AM.

03 March 2003
ha ha "back door tricks"...suddenly i'm 12 again and i just herd someone say "butt"

heh heh eh heh...

seriously though...sounds like its going to be funny.

03 March 2003
cool. Lets get some pre-pro.

Matthew Tardiff

http://hummingbirdandthelotus.tumblr.com/

03 March 2003
i love that name, spontaneous combust-human

nice backstory too!

03 March 2003
page1

Attached Images
File Type: gif storyboard1.gif (18.8 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by noktUp : 03 March 2003 at 04:37 AM.

03 March 2003
Page2

sorry they're a little hard to read.
Attached Images
File Type: gif storyboard2.gif (17.9 KB, 167 views)

03 March 2003
correct me if I am wrong...but aint Chernobyl in Ukraine ???

03 March 2003
good call.
but at the time of the incident, it was a soviet state.

I fix!!

Last edited by noktUp : 03 March 2003 at 11:53 AM.

03 March 2003
Yo noktupiddy.

storyboards look cool for the most part but they are very hard to see. curious to see how you will dispense his ashes.

peace outside

03 March 2003
Thnx B...

DaveW: Thnx, the name was apended by my friend Jeremy, I was originally going to call him the spontanious cumbustion human.

thanks for the Crits all.
I know they're a little hard to read, almost impossible,
but, I am no compression master, and you get the jist of the story.

Expect animatic later this evening. So far it looks a little fast, because it was originally 820 frames or so, and it had to be 450.

I kept the fancy camera pan and zoom, but I think in final cut it'll be dropped. I'll replace it with a simple fade. It will allow the audience time to take in the opening action. This will unfortunately kill and scene establishment but I think I can get the same effect with some phones ringing in the background. Or maybe a snazzy environment fade effect. I'll bang out an updated animatic for tonight.
I'll show both though

03 March 2003
ANIMATIC (not fixed)

http://personal.laker.net/lars/andy/animatic.mov

that is the animatic for the animation. In final cut there'll be no camera pan, just a fade.

share thread