CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Maxon Cinema 4D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Depth of Field advice

After attempting to use AR's DOF and finding several issues (such as a bug where when you use front blur you lose the alpha channel on objects in the background) I'm wondering what everyone else is using for a DOF solution, be it in rendering or for After Effects. I've looked at Lenscare for After Effects but since it requires a depth map from Cinema it kind of defeats the purpose. Any suggestions?

I'm asking this because i'm having a major flicker problem that seems to be with objects with a glow on them and DOF. You can see it here

TestDOF
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Last edited by Troyan : 05-15-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Triker
Frequenter
portfolio
Kevin Kohrman
Kohrman Graphics
Green Bay, USA

I can't speak for others, but ZBlur has been good to me.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
basilisk
Lord of the posts

James Newman
Basilisk
Oxford, United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to basilisk Send a message via Yahoo to basilisk
you probably won't have much luck combine post effects like DOF an Glow - they are just not designed to go together. I think the general verdict last time this was discussed was that the best option is to use zBlur for your depth channel (it can handle transparency) and frischluft lenscare for the blur. AE lens blur is another option.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
govinda
Ugly Avatars R Us

Richard
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to govinda
Zblur rocks!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Hmm, I wonder if people like Zblur .

Done. Thanks guys!

T
HyperactiveVR

Last edited by Troyan : 05-15-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
basilisk
Lord of the posts

James Newman
Basilisk
Oxford, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by govinda
Zblur rocks!

Hey gov - do you use zBlur for blurring or just for generating the depth pass (do you use it with lenscare?)

Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

I do all my dof in post via lenscare.

I have zblur -but have only used it to generate depth pass in scenes with transparency.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelD
I do all my dof in post via lenscare.

I have zblur -but have only used it to generate depth pass in scenes with transparency.

I have both so I'll be trying that next.
HyperactiveVR

Old 05-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
govinda
Ugly Avatars R Us

Richard
Los Angeles, USA

Yo Basilisk! I only just got zBlur two weeks ago. The thing I discovered is that my DOF and Blur needs are different. A tight DOF makes large objects look like toys, but atmospheric haze in my scenes needs to start close to cam. If you render out 16 or 32 bit, you can levels your depth pass until the cows come home, but it 'walls off' at your minimum point. Like for example if your depth distance starts at 4000m and goes to 25,000 meters, your gradient is between those distances, and no amount of levels or curves will get you a gradient start point at 500m. You get all white at 4,000m when you pull your gamma over.

There must be a better comping solution for this. So while it's almost an extravagant luxury, I almost wish there were two outputs, one for blur and one for depth. Using a separate Environment object loses the flexibility of doing fog adjustments in post. I could by smoking crack here however, as I haven't used depth all that much until lately.

Luckily with faster computers these days, pyrocluster works really nicely for light fog at like 2.5 minutes a frame on a 1.3 million poly scene on a quad g5. But no separate post render for it unless I'm missing something.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
interactiveBoy
Expert

portfolio
Gary Ingle
Animator / Graphics Generalist
Nashville, USA

govinda -

I don't have Cinema in front of me, but I seem to remember pyrocluster pass could be done with the Environment Ambience pass or something similar.

G

Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
basilisk
Lord of the posts

James Newman
Basilisk
Oxford, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by govinda
Yo Basilisk! I only just got zBlur two weeks ago. The thing I discovered is that my DOF and Blur needs are different. A tight DOF makes large objects look like toys, but atmospheric haze in my scenes needs to start close to cam. If you render out 16 or 32 bit, you can levels your depth pass until the cows come home, but it 'walls off' at your minimum point. Like for example if your depth distance starts at 4000m and goes to 25,000 meters, your gradient is between those distances, and no amount of levels or curves will get you a gradient start point at 500m. You get all white at 4,000m when you pull your gamma over.

There must be a better comping solution for this. So while it's almost an extravagant luxury, I almost wish there were two outputs, one for blur and one for depth. Using a separate Environment object loses the flexibility of doing fog adjustments in post. I could by smoking crack here however, as I haven't used depth all that much until lately.

Can't you get your depth pass to go from 0 to 25000 metres, and then use curves to adjust it to your requirements for use with lens blur/lenscare?

Quote:
Luckily with faster computers these days, pyrocluster works really nicely for light fog at like 2.5 minutes a frame on a 1.3 million poly scene on a quad g5. But no separate post render for it unless I'm missing something.

Until my Octocore arrives, pyrocluster stays mainly in the box :(
Have you tried massive underground visible lights for fog - try wavy turbulence noise for smokey effects. You might need to enable dust. Works nicely for ghostly mist in churchyard scenarios, not so sure for ambient mist on a sunny day.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
govinda
Ugly Avatars R Us

Richard
Los Angeles, USA

Ah that's not a bad idea for fog, a trick I knew and then forgot. We don't have Lenscare and can't get it--we've used all our app/plugin budget. But that's the answer for having different distant hazes vs. blurs.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread