scapula problems

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2007
scapula problems

Hey guys,

I started building a rigyesterday, unfortuantly im kinda in a hurry. So i used a few scripts of highend 3d to hopefully speed some stuff up!
Anyway for the first tiem i have tried to include a scapula control.
Unfortuantly when rotate my scapula control around the IK handle control doesnt follow. Which in it self is not suprsing. So i have tried parenting and constraing the IK control to the scapula control and I get one of two results it either Wigs out completely or it will follow but seem to only trave half the amount of rotation (is this a double transormation issue?)

Is there a good method for implementing a basic scapula control with other controls in the arm? or am i just bieng a twit?
If you feel like bieng nice and taking a look ive got the MAYA 7.0 file here

Just for your information I used a script to create the stretchy IK and to create the back, i forget which exactly

thanks for any help!

cheers
Toby

=>Reel & Portfolio<=
Linkedin

04 April 2007
Personally I've always just used a simple joint setup with 2 locators, an aim and then an upvector. Drop the aim locator on the end joint of the scapula chain, then just translate it down 2-5 degrees, position the upVector just above the back of the neck and create an aim with upvector. Parenting from here depends on how your hierarchy is structured, I generally parent my aim locator to the clavicle or if I need to simulate more muscle I get fancy with some constraints for a more realistic scapula movement.

-s

04 April 2007
ahhh that sounds liek it could work!

one question though whats the up vector? is that a part of the locator node?

cheers
-Toby

=>Reel & Portfolio<=
Linkedin

04 April 2007
The up-vector is part of the aim constraint, it's basically a second locator that I use to drive the orientation of the aim constraint relative to the characters movement. It essentially prevents the scapula from completely freaking out and flipping or twisting in a wrong way. Also allows me to make minor adjustments to fine tune the movement of the scapula

You can find the up vector information in the aim constraint options.

-s

04 April 2007
ah ok cool
ill give that a try

thanks alot!

=>Reel & Portfolio<=
Linkedin

04 April 2007
sorry to be a bit of an idiot but i dont really understand.

Ive placed a locator at the wrist joint (end of scapula chain) and I aim constrain the scapula to that locator?

This didnt seem to have much effect :/

=>Reel & Portfolio<=
Linkedin

04 April 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread