nhmchallenge Layer01

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2007
nhmchallenge Layer01

EDIT
last page updated with higher rez imgs of clean plate and extension

Hey guys
This is going to be my first challenge on cgtalk, first matt painting..and um..first..post about the two

I have to admit i am biting of a bit more than i can probably chew here, but i figure i've got nothing to loose, only knowledge to gain
I've used PS for a while but never to a really pro level, i'm really looking forward to learning new techniques and seeing how "you guys" make your magic hehehe

I'll be kicking this off tomorrow (saturday 14th April) with my first shot at removing peeps and props
see you all then and good luck everyone.

EDIT:
original plate for reference of progress

Last edited by Layer01 : 06 June 2007 at 02:02 PM.

04 April 2007
Nice to have you here Peter, good luck. Don't worry it's all about learning with this one, that was my focus on this challenge so we can all pick up a little from each other

Looking forward to seeing your work.

- Dave

04 April 2007
OK first update. not much so far, but its a start.
I'm just working on removing the floor for now. I used your technique everlite, i Copied a section of the floor to a new doc and then cleaned it up and pasted it back into the original, then used distort and perspective to try and get it looking a bit more natural. I'm on PS 7 so i dont have the nifty perspective clone (or whatever its called).

Tips/crits are welcome

04 April 2007
Hey mate, it's coming on well so far. I didn't use any fancy tools or anything, i just cut, paste and distort using the basic free transform tool. I've just managed to come back onto mine now and i've pretty much cleaned everything up, i'll post it up shortly

Keep at it, plenty of time yet.

- Dave.

04 April 2007
cheers dave

its early days (only half an hour into it) but its lots of fun, sort of like trying to work out a complex puzzle. breakfast time now lol, but expect some more later today.
I muct say this is a great idea, if i were to try this on my own i'd probably give up, but seeing how others are solving the problems and seeing their progress is really helpful/inspirational.

04 April 2007
Quote:

I muct say this is a great idea, if i were to try this on my own i'd probably give up, but seeing how others are solving the problems and seeing their progress is really helpful/inspirational.

You hit the nail right on the head with that one, that's exactly why i love these challenges so much, it gets you motivated into doing something where you might otherwise give up. It's also a good thing for your portfolio.

Oh and yeh, i'm beginning to see the puzzle thing :-) but it's inspiring to see how other people have managed to get through it, so i know i can. One thing that i've figured out with this one that i really like, is that for every piece that you need to patch over there's bits and pieces that you can pinch from other areas, and i've pretty much done the whole thing with little need to paint in areas, which doesn't happen very often.

- Dave.

Stick at it.

- Dave.

04 April 2007
Ok new update.
Didnt get as much time to play with this so far as i wanted, but i'm pleased with the results thus far.
I've also got some ideas of where i want to take this starting to form

04 April 2007
Going well, though i'd darken the floor down slightly to match the original.

- Dave.

04 April 2007
holy floor

dang, that's a nice clean floor.

04 April 2007
ok. Back!
*damn women and their "wants" and "needs" *

proconpictures: Thanks! I'm really quite excited that someone likes it you've made my day hehehe

everlite: Yeah i'll play with the colours a bit once i have more people gone

okay. update time, seems most people are roaring ahead, i'm sort of..purring? lol
Let me know what you think thus far

[EDIT]
Photobucket is changing the res, and so the pic looks a lot rougher and less good, things are not that blocky at full res.

Last edited by Layer01 : 04 April 2007 at 06:07 AM.

04 April 2007
got an extra 40 minutes. so a new update

(photobucket makes the imgs a bit more grainy than they are actually)

04 April 2007
looking good so far Much better floor than mine that is for sure

04 April 2007
Thanks Linda

ok. 2 hours later and i've got the arches more or less clean. They were a LOT harder to do than i expected, but its was great, this is by far the most intensive photoshop.."shop" i've ever done
I still have some bits to fix up in the second arch to make stuff straighter. same with the floor. but its getting there!

comments and crits are welcome

04 April 2007
Hello!

It's looking good so far.
And don't worry about being slow - I have yet to find someone slower than me and I'm no PS noob...

04 April 2007
Thanks sonia
Yeah i'm not too worried cause i really am taking my time with this, and i'm getting heaps out of it.
I'll try and work on some concepts today.

Thread Closed share thread