How would you recommend I model this?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2007   #1
How would you recommend I model this?

Hello there, I am trying to make a buckyball and what I have now is a simple tesselated sphere which I merged some of the polys on.

What I need to do is have a cylinder go along the polygon lines and spheres where the points are.

I don't know the best way to do this. My first thought was to build a sphere the same length as the poly edges, position it at the point and measure the angles and adjust to make them the same. Sounds like a bit of work and wanted to see if there was a more efficient way of going about this...

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: gif buck_frame.gif (6.0 KB, 33 views)

Old 04 April 2007   #2
Sorry, I meant make a "cylinder" the same size as the polygon edge and position it...

Old 04 April 2007   #3
If this is a soccer ball why not just make a sphere and then use a bump map

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."

Old 04 April 2007   #4
it's more like a frame built with pipes with spheres at the joing. It's a molecule made entirely of carbon. I've attached a rendering of what I'm trying to do...
Attached Images
File Type: png 160px-C60a.png (42.7 KB, 47 views)

Old 04 April 2007   #5
Hmmm...that could easily be performed with a lattice modifier but I'm not sure how to do that in LW. Interesting...

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."

Old 04 April 2007   #6
I`ve done a quick test and here`s my solution:
1. make your molecular structure
2. copy it into a second layer and kill the polys
3. make the node sphere (depending on your needs) on the third layer
4. clone the node sphere according to the background points from the second layer.
I used Clonez v2.2. You can download the plugin from Flay - http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=833
5. select the corespondent polys from two spheres and bridge them. I`m using 7.5 and I was forced to weld the points.
I wasn`t too concerned about the spheres' size in my image.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by roctavian : 04 April 2007 at 07:51 PM.

Old 04 April 2007   #7
maybe you can take a look at this plug, might be useful for you...

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1724

Old 06 June 2007   #8
interesting plug, thanks
(direct link)
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/tube/index.html

Old 06 June 2007   #9
Every time I need to model a similar structure I create the volume I need, and then use (if you have access to them) LWCAD poly to curve, and then LWCADīs profiler. Bang! 1 minute and the bars done. Then I just need to clone the spheres over the original vertices with letīs say point clone plus.
Very simple to do it this way. You do need to own LwCAD though.

Old 06 June 2007   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread