How do I avoid seams in my normal map? I think I figured out a way not sure.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2007
How do I avoid seams in my normal map? I think I figured out a way not sure.

I've modeled a human in 3D Studio Max & then I took him into Zbrush where I upped the poly count and sculpted detail. I've created a normal map using Zmapper in Zbrush. I noticed that I have a problem with seams being visible when I apply the normal map in my game engine.

I've learned that Normal Maps are notorious for showing seams but the good news is I believe there is a way to lay out UV's properly so seams won't be visible.

Please observe the side of the leg in this screenshot. You will notice there are no seams at the side of his leg even though there is (The screenshot of the normal map is further down showing that I cut the side of the leg in the UV's)

In this screenshot you will notice the visible seams at the shoulder, torso, arm are.

So the question is why are there no seams at the side of the leg but seams at the shoulder,torso, arm area?

Here is the normal map.

04 April 2007
i actually dont use zmapper at all. it proved to give me more seams than i have patience for. so i went back to the original method of using Tool/normal map submenu. after baking out the normal map, i invert the green channel in photoshop and send it out to the game engine.

04 April 2007

Originally Posted by ambient-whisper: i actually dont use zmapper at all. it proved to give me more seams than i have patience for. so i went back to the original method of using Tool/normal map submenu. after baking out the normal map, i invert the green channel in photoshop and send it out to the game engine.

I just tried that out. Unfortunately I still get the seam issue.

04 April 2007
youll just have to play around. i know that for a fact, no two applications use the same settings for displaying normal maps. it is unfortunate, but there is no such thing as a standard when it comes to normal maps. but im thinking that your main issue is that some colour is inverted. it might not be that simple, but try it.

04 April 2007
How many different zmapper configurations have you tried? there are a TON! try this one that I made, it works in 3ds max and our game engine.

Once zmapper is open just load it under the load configurations tab, it will automatically load all the required presets.

Martin is right though, I would say 80% of the time you just need to invert the red or green channel which zmapper has options for as well.

http://www.ericblondin.com/archives...x8modifiedE.zmp

04 April 2007
hi there

when you're using zmapper to get rid of the seams, go to the
"expert pass2" rollout and give the maximum
vaule in the first slider on your right named "on UV seam".
To check if it's working turn on "tangent space n.map" and see how the connections look

04 April 2007
Ohh I never heard of that one, good tip.

04 April 2007

There was an actual problem with how I exported my model from Zbrush and then how I exported it from 3DSM.

But I'm still going ot apply your techniques and probably make it even better.

Thanks for your help all!

04 April 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread