portfolio
Wes Beckwith
USA

KURV studios releases Mudbox: A Practical Guide

For Immediate Release – March 23, 2007
KURV studios publishes “Mudbox: A Practical Guide with Wayne Robson”
Length – 3.5 hours of training
Retail Price - $24.95 - Limited time, 20% off

KURV studios the leading publisher of 2D/3D video training and SubdivisionModeling.com team up to release their first video for Skymatter’s Mudbox, Mudbox: A Practical Guide. KURV Studios is honored to be working with Wayne Robson, well known professional 2D/3D, artist and sculpture artists from Durham UK.

Skymatter’s Mudbox 3D is the highly anticipated digital sculpting tool artists have been waiting almost a year for. Mudbox has a fast efficient interface, it’s tools allow you to work fast and create amazing sculpted detail in a matter of minutes. Highly complex photo real characters are easily attainable if you understand the tool set and work flow of Mudbox. Mudbox: A Practical Guide will take the artist on a tour of the Mudbox interface and explain how each tool can fit into their workflow. Using plain, well paced narrative Wayne takes the viewer, tool by tool on an eye opening exploration. After showing you the interface and tool set, Wayne takes you through a detailed one hour tutorial of these new tools. Lastly, in section 2, Wayne shows you how to model semi complex objects in Mudbox, in this case the cover image. This detailed model gives you amazing examples of different modeling tools and techniques. In classic KURV studios style, you will be modeling like a pro in no time... well in about 3 hours.

The final modeling project can be viewed here http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1890

Topics Covered:
Introduction to Workspace, Interface and Tools – 1.5 hours
Aimed at artists not only new to Mudbox but perhaps new to modeling with a digital sculpting tool. This section takes a very methodical look at every tool and feature available in the drop down menus. Each tool is explored enough to allow the viewer to understand its use or application. This section of the video will give new Mudbox users an excellent foundation of knowledge on the software and even intermediate users a better handle on Mudbox’s depth of tools.

Sculpting Project Alien – 2.5 hours
This section of the DVD will show you how to put your new found knowledge to use. This section is more than 2 hours long and goes into a comprehensive tutorial on modeling in Mudbox. Mudbox has many very powerful tools and Wayne walks you through a live modeling project.

About Wayne Robson:
Wayne Robson - is a freelance digital artist & professional writer who lives in Durham England behind a keyboard. He's sure he had a life at some point but isn't quite sure where it disappeared to. Wayne fell into 3D accidentally and found he rather liked it. The last few years have seen him go from being homeless, to becoming a respected artist in the field.

Wayne comes form a rather different background to everyone else in 3d. He is used to be a well known escapologist (and still holds a world record that remains to this day unbeaten), used to teach guitar to grade 8 level and is entirely self taught. He can be found helping others through his tutorials on a number of forums online. Wayne also is a professional writer on 3D and
related subjects, and has a goal to help people who are starting out to learn as fast and effectively as possible.

Wayne is also a super-moderator over at subdivisionModeling.com and can be found at his personal site www.dashdotslash.net.

Mudbox: A Practical Guide by Wayne Robson can be purchased from KURV studios here http://www.kurvstudios.com/mudbox, or soon at Amazon.com and your favorite Academic online store.

Author, LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips and Tricks
My NewTek Profile

Old 03-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
kurv
'now available'

portfolio
Wes Beckwith
USA

Final Project Images:

My NewTek Profile

Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
khurrum_j
New Member Since 2002!
Khurrum Jaffar
United Arab Emirates

Hey Kurv,

Congrats!

When can we have samples of the videos for preview?

Looks like a great start for beginners. How well does this video explain displacement map creation and export techniques for different platforms? Or is that a topic left for the next
video?

Best,

KHURRUM

Old 03-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
DarthWayne
I need more caffine

portfolio
Wayne Robson
Autodesk Master
DashDotSlash
Durham, United Kingdom

Displacement map creation is left for the next of the dvd's in the series. This one I mainly wanted to have entirely mudbox centric and make sure users were all up to speed enough for the later DVD's which will have much more advanced workflows in them.

I had a few mins last night to kncok out a more 'serious' render of this model that hopefully shows the model a bit better than the mudbox screenshots.

Wayne...

Home Page - Dash Dot Slash

Old 03-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
khurrum_j
New Member Since 2002!
Khurrum Jaffar
United Arab Emirates

Hey Wayne.

Just as I figured. Its all good though. I guess it works for newcomers that way.

Nice render. Maya?

Thinking of Maya, there's already a few Mudbox to Maya workflow threads over here, as well as the Mudbox3D forums. Do you think you will be covering the Mud-Maya workflow in the videos? Or anything else is offered as well?

OR

Do you think the displacement extraction workflow should be kept 'general'. You know, the actual process of it, including output formats, differences, benefits, perhaps even enhancing and conversion in Photoshop?

KHURRUM

Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
DarthWayne
I need more caffine

portfolio
Wayne Robson
Autodesk Master
DashDotSlash
Durham, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurrum_j
Hey Wayne.

Just as I figured. Its all good though. I guess it works for newcomers that way.

Nice render. Maya?

Thinking of Maya, there's already a few Mudbox to Maya workflow threads over here, as well as the Mudbox3D forums. Do you think you will be covering the Mud-Maya workflow in the videos? Or anything else is offered as well?

OR

Do you think the displacement extraction workflow should be kept 'general'. You know, the actual process of it, including output formats, differences, benefits, perhaps even enhancing and conversion in Photoshop?

KHURRUM

The mudbox to maya workflow is pretty much coverd alredy in the mudbox documents pretty well so I can't see me doing that as anything other than passing. We will be covering other applications although I can't say to much at this stage. For tis DVD it is assumed a person has read the Mudbox online documents, although if they haven't they can stil follow along although obviously not as others.

No the render isn't maya...in fact at the moment may isn't installed on this box.

Wayne...

Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
pd
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Mathias Koehler
freelance
Germany

Looks really nice Wayne. I'm curious though, I'm not really interested in the technical things, especially since the software is so easy to learn and I think I'm pretty familiar with it already.

What I'm interested in are concepts for sculpting in general. Concepts that would aply to sculpting with real clay just as well. I'm thinking of tips about design, proportion, (surface) texture etc. Do you cover such things in the DVD?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
DarthWayne
I need more caffine

portfolio
Wayne Robson
Autodesk Master
DashDotSlash
Durham, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd
Looks really nice Wayne. I'm curious though, I'm not really interested in the technical things, especially since the software is so easy to learn and I think I'm pretty familiar with it already.

What I'm interested in are concepts for sculpting in general. Concepts that would aply to sculpting with real clay just as well. I'm thinking of tips about design, proportion, (surface) texture etc. Do you cover such things in the DVD?

In a word yes I do. The final project is approached as a completely unplanned freestyle sculpt and I explain not just what I'm doing but WHY every decision is made. The info that conprises the majority of the dvd would easily translate into any sculpting aplication or even clay.

Mudbox can be rathe deceptive in that its capable of much more than whats seen 'on the surface'.

Wayne...

Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
pd
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Mathias Koehler
freelance
Germany

Thanks a lot! I've just placed my order. Do you plan to do any further DVDs or is this the only one for now?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
DarthWayne
I need more caffine

portfolio
Wayne Robson
Autodesk Master
DashDotSlash
Durham, United Kingdom

This is just the 1st in a series that I'm doign for KURV that will be getting increasingly complex over each disk.

Wayne...

Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
pd
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Mathias Koehler
freelance
Germany

Sounds great, I'll let you know what I think about the first one, once it arrives!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
kurv
'now available'

portfolio
Wes Beckwith
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurrum_j
Hey Kurv,

Congrats!

When can we have samples of the videos for preview?

Looks like a great start for beginners. How well does this video explain displacement map creation and export techniques for different platforms? Or is that a topic left for the next
video?

Best,

KHURRUM

We will have sample videos up today... I worked a 23 hour day to get the video done... so I will do that today through the weekend Thanks!!

My NewTek Profile

Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
kurv
'now available'

portfolio
Wes Beckwith
USA

Thanks guys!! The response already has been amazing... please keep posting your questions, and let us know what you think!

Wayne, thanks!!

My NewTek Profile

Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #14
khurrum_j
New Member Since 2002!
Khurrum Jaffar
United Arab Emirates

Hi Kurv.

Sorry for your long hours, I didnt know!

Take your time. I've been working the whole of this weekend as well. All in the name of art I guess.

Keep up the good work. Much appreciated.

Best,

KHURRUM

Old 03-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Cameo
Maya Monkey

portfolio
3D Artist
Manchester, United Kingdom

Looks great. I'm thinking of buying, will the preview vids be up this weekend to check out?

Cheers

Thread Closed share thread