Beach Home

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2007
Beach Home

Here is my very first Matte Painting. I wanted the home to feel organic, and also a lonely place. More than anything this was just an experiement to see how well I could do on it. Feedback will be much appreciated.

Sketchbook

Last edited by Rist : 03 March 2007 at 05:56 PM.

03 March 2007
Hi

It's hard to tell wich part of the pictre is edited, what have you mixed or not. The chimney and window: the lighting doesn't feel right there, compare the shades with other rock shades. Cheers, everything else is nice

03 March 2007
Hey Andrew, Great first try! very impressive.

I think this image needs a little more personality. I want to see the door the person gets out from , foot prints in the sand , maybe some old wine bottles half barried haha. ok a little to far there. Also the window needs more depth, maybe instead of having just the rock wall inside , let us see what the person has inside his crazy house.

Since it is hard to know what is cropped and added thats a good thing , your doing your job . It would be nice to see the references thou.

Cheers!

03 March 2007
SpetsK: Thanks, I have been working on it again since seeing your reply. I believe too little has been added and for this piece to be my own, I need to change at least 10% of it. Both os the things have already been changed, I am not entirely ready to show it yet. Below is the reference. As you see, you are correct, only those you noted have been changed.

Matellis: Thanks for the advice, I will try ti implement some of them. The window may be hard to add more detail as it is in very deep shadow. The only thing I can think of is some ornuments of something on a ledge/window sill.

I have redesigned the window and hopefully will make it look like something from long ago, not of this era.

To try and pin-point a story to this piece I will say it is a home before machines were used; possibly 0-1000AD or even before that. I am thinking as this guy is so out of civilisation, he should have to hunt his own meals and collect his own water. So no beer bottles I am afraid.

To mention to the viewers that this place is before machines, I was thinking of a village/town/city on that piece of land in the distance. Another idea could be the viking long boats or soemthing.

Here is the Ref:

Sketchbook

03 March 2007
Here is the update.

The lighting for the chimney still seems off. Any pointers for this please?

Sketchbook

Last edited by Rist : 03 March 2007 at 07:15 PM.

03 March 2007
basically: don't make it black!

03 March 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread