Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

HMC 8: King Arthur | Terry Nigel - Diabolos

Ok, I put together some screen shots, I will be using for reference. I have chosen the black suit of armor version (with beard ohhh nnnooo - what am I thinking). Might as well hit all of the extremes at once - push my own limits.

D,

Last edited by Diabolos : 03-18-2007 at 04:52 PM.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

Just had to start on something

...............as Arthur grasped Excalibur and released it from its stone prison to be King.

D,

Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
AndreKling
Know-it-All
portfolio
Andre Kling David
artist
Salamanca, España

Send a message via ICQ to AndreKling Send a message via MSN to AndreKling
Wow, very nice start, looks really promissing, and the model you choose is awesome. Lets see that armor hv u thought about how you gonna do the chain mail already? are you going to model each ring, or are you planning to do it with texture normals and alpha?
andre

Old 03-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

thank you Andre,

I would like to try this method (link below), but I am not sure where to start and I do not understand his wireframe for the set-up. So if anyone looking through my thread wants to help me out that would be great (I just need a screen shot of the shader node set-up - or any tips)............

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...23&page=1&pp=15

*EDIT 19.03.2007* - I just found this: (it is still going to take me a while to understand this) Oh man, I see a lot of experimenting in my near future........

http://features.cgsociety.org/story..._id=2915&page=2

A while back one of my first models (please do not laugh), I tried "real chain" mail, but it would not render (originally the chainmail went all the way around the back of the helmet, I removed most of it just to get the image seen below to render) - that is before I knew about instancing, clean meshes, and history though (I think each ring had 20 subdivisions along both axis [axi - what is the plural form]).

D,

Last edited by Diabolos : 03-19-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:00 AM   #5
SantoAnderson
Freelance Tickler

portfolio
Brian Anderson
Art Director
Alive Signs / U of U
Farmington, USA

Sweet dude. When I saw your topic's subject line I half expected to see Graham Chapman. Looks great so far. Nice work.

Live-Action FLASH

Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAnderson
Sweet dude.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAnderson
When I saw your topic's subject line I half expected to see Graham Chapman. Looks great so far. Nice work.

???? ahhh you were thinking Monty Python and the holy grail with also Terry Gilliam, and Terry Jones. It seems Terry was a popular Brit name.

Might make a good challenge idea for the future: Hardcore Modeling Challenge XX - Monty Python - you could either model the actors or the crazy illustrated backdrop (inbetweens).

D,

Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

Profile SetUp

Ok, I thought there was something wrong with the pixel aspect ratio, but this guy just has a longer skinnier face. Here is my model sheet.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
KrakenCMT
Know-it-All

portfolio
Christopher Tackett
Art Director
Chris Tackett Designs
Cincinnati, USA

One of my very favorite films... I think if Nicol Williamson (Merlin) was on the list, I would have picked him.

You've got a good direction planned. Maybe a bit challenging with the beard (at least for me it would be), but that's why they call this a challenge!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

finally started the head

Ok, movie lovers, I have been sculpting away - I left off the ear, as I need to redo it (looked like something other than an ear).Looks like I am going to have to follow the ear tut on highend3d. Crits are definitely welcome....needed.....

Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
AndreKling
Know-it-All
portfolio
Andre Kling David
artist
Salamanca, España

Its looking great man, keep it up, the nose is spot on... How u gonna do the beard? are u going to model it or do u plan to use a fur plugging?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreKling
Its looking great man, keep it up, the nose is spot on... How u gonna do the beard? are u going to model it or do u plan to use a fur plugging?

ooohhhh, I am going to be trying paintFX first, but I want to try mayaFur. Everyone seems to be talking about these baldMaps and how good fur is, but I have to be honest and have to say that I have no clue. How about you? Maximus seems to have a bit of facial growth going on there as well. I think we are somehow in the same boat...............

D,

Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
AndreKling
Know-it-All
portfolio
Andre Kling David
artist
Salamanca, España

Yeah, but maximus beard is so small that could be made with a texture and a bump map... but since my main goal is to learn the software i may try the fur out ( besides i hv to learn it to use in the wolf fur ), so if you know any good tutorial for the hair and hur plugging would be nice.
Let me ask you, do you model it in polygons or in subDs? what are the main differences? in order to export to mudbox or zbrush, is better polys or subds?
Andre

Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Yeah, but maximus beard is so small that could be made with a texture and a bump map... but since my main goal is to learn the software i may try the fur out ( besides i hv to learn it to use in the wolf fur ), so if you know any good tutorial for the hair and hur plugging would be nice.

I'll let you know as soon as I find one.

Quote:
Let me ask you, do you model it in polygons or in subDs? what are the main differences? in order to export to mudbox or zbrush, is better polys or subds?
Andre

I am a total polyGuy, it's my weakness (fall back on being self taught). Unfortunately I only have Maya so my workflow totally be done in Maya. I think zBrush handles poly's and suB's equally, if you were using Muddbox or Modo - I would say subD's are the way to go (but I have no experience in that only what I have read in other forums).

D,

Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
Diabolos
Know-it-All

portfolio
Marcus Schildt
Maya Generalist/Hobbyist
N/A
Berlin, Germany

here is a screen shot of the steps I have taken. when Roberto makes topology a criteria, then I'm out of the next challenges :op

Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #15
MisterE
Know-it-All

portfolio
Eric N.
USA

Send a message via AIM to MisterE
Not bad looking so far! Will be interested in seeing how far you can take this w/o using Mudbox or Zbrush. Good luck

Thread Closed share thread