thanks!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
TechnicallyArtistic
Now in 3D!!!

portfolio
Sean Hewitt
Character TD & Generalist
Seattle, USA

Send a message via AIM to TechnicallyArtistic Send a message via MSN to TechnicallyArtistic
The jump its self isn't too bad. The run up needs some work. Seems like the foot isn't planting on the steps until the feet are under or past the hips which is too late. The timing on the arms seems to be off in relationship to the legs a little. Think of the arms in the oposite position of the legs. Like you're streching and reaching across the whole body to push off with the legs. Yes, it's a little off set from the legs, but like a wave of energy twisting through the body. I find it depends how much the person is muceling to stretch as well, and at times they can sync up depending on the look your going for. But right now it almost seems like there's low gravity or something.

On the landing, while you have him leaning back, his feet are still right under the hips, so it's not like he's really pushing against his own momentum. Motion seems to totaly stop in your arms as well. It's fine if you have them stop swinging for the sake of balance, but there's no motion in them from the bounce of the steps. Same with the head. As well, if he's trying to stop momentum, it's odd that the last few steps seem equidistance each time rather than shortening the step.

If you haven't get some room and try out the motions your self. If nothing else, start running and then stop quickly. Close your eyes and feel the motion. Watch yourself in a mirror if you can.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
chiodo
Veteran

Jean-Luc
New Rock City, Italy

thank you so much, cat!
before you pointed out those things, i was just completely blind to them.

i tried to put in / change the things you mentioned
--> testjump v2

one thing i'm wondering though, whether the down point before
the jump is a bit too extreme now and makes it almost look like a jitter.
another thing that struck me (or rather my gf) is that..
isn't the whole thing just way too fast? i mean. it's supposed
to be cartoony and snappy, but... i think i just got the habit
of misjudging speed/frames.. mmmm. wadcha think?

Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
TechnicallyArtistic
Now in 3D!!!

portfolio
Sean Hewitt
Seattle, USA

Send a message via AIM to TechnicallyArtistic Send a message via MSN to TechnicallyArtistic
It's looking better, but still some things to tweak.

Looking at the jump, it still seems a little floaty. I think it may be because his overall speed forward slows down right as he jumps. Just watching the top of the head, he leaps and slows, but not really in a speed with gravity.

Starting from the begging, if I play it slow by scrubbing it almost looks like he's skipping more than jumping. It may be that youíre pulling him too far off from the ground and not giving him enough time for his feet to push him forward. And still on that second step, he isn't planting his foot in front of his hips to pull himself forward, but he's planting behind his hips, with his other foot behind him at that, which most people that would lead to tripping if they werenít doing some kind of lunging jump. The step right before the jump isn't too bad though.

Something looks odd about the arms here still. Iím not sure how you're blocking this out, but I'd start with the extreme poses. Get the arms and legs positioned right there. It seems like they're timing is off from each other. And at that, the hips and torso could probably twist a little more. Not that this is the best example, but check out this tutorial for a bit of a break down. http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutor...ting/294-2.html

Also a note on the timing. If you're not sure, do it yourself and time it out with a stop watch. I recommend somebody else fuses with the stop watch than is doing the running and jumping if possible. The human mind isn't the best at judging timing, especially on fractions of seconds.

On the land from the jump, the anticipation just isn't there. There's no brace for impact, or a little extra stretch to reach the edge. The hips don't move to adjust to the change in direction of where force is coming, especially if he's planning on stopping. No anticipation in the hands to help catch himself if he falls.

The stopping steps are a little bit better but maybe too fast still, like your girlfriend suggested. As well, the motion is very uniform still. Watch people stop in momentum. Thereís more twisting of the feet or hips in attempt to absorb some of that momentum. When I run and try to stop like that, my feet skid, out to the side, my arms are up in the air as a kind of counter balance, because I'm leaning back to stop my momentum forward, but at some point I'm going to stop moving and need to counter act that balance. My arms go up too, but that might be because I have a wall to not run into in front of me here. Also, I see on yours in that middle step the whole body pops forward, which is probably why it looks too fast. His planted foot slides forward in a position that it really shouldn't My feet skid forward some, but they're infront of my hips trying to stop me from moving forward more when they do.

The simple answer is observing some more. Do this more your self, and in a mirror if possible. Have other people do it for you and observe their motion. Download videos online. Youtube.com and google video are great for this kinda stuff. For big jumps, I tend to look up Free Runners, or Parkour. But looking for words like leap or jump can probably get you some decent videos too. I might sugest trying to find some track and feild videos as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
chiodo
Veteran

Jean-Luc
New Rock City, Italy

thanks again so much cat,
i think i'm going to put this jump to a rest and do some life
studies like you suggested. i'm gonna look for some videos, but
also record some material on my own, since i have a digital
camera, which can record videos.
so be prepared for some more n00b stuff.. :P

Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
TechnicallyArtistic
Now in 3D!!!

portfolio
Sean Hewitt
Seattle, USA

Sounds good. You're on the right track.

If it mean anything to you, from my past experiences I know for sure that me and the people around me usualy learn tons more from the stuff that doesn't work than the stuff that does. Theres just so many things to know in the world that its quicker to start sorting out the things you don't know than the things you do.

Just keep trying different things and it'll click eventualy.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread