wesware
what the?...

portfolio
Wes Ware
Wes Ware Creative
Nashville, USA

Wip: LowPoly Character - Troll Killer

Hey there,

I have been wanting to get back into Character development for awhile now, 2d and 3d.
All my skills in 3d that are character related need alot of work... specifically; modelling, texturing, rigging, animating (gee, I think that's everything).

I have always had a love for games and gaming. I just recently started to learn some of the concepts behind modelling and texturing low poly characters/assets/props for games. Most of what I've been looking at involves poly flow/economy and normal/texture mapping and how they interact and balance each other. Boy there sure are alot of decisions to make when building a character... "do I model this, do I texture that??" Really cool stuff.

Who Knows, perhaps later this year I might begin to make some marketable assets but for right now I'm just learning. Good thing is, all of my work in this area will directly benefit me when I go off and do a paying gig in another area. I really think most people in 3d would benefit from learning some of the priciples of creating for games. Sorry for the speech.

Here's the character. Fairly low end on concept, no extremely exagerated features. Once I learn decent poly flow I will probably move on to some out-there concepts but for right now, he's pretty basic. I might add some armor (unsymetrical) not much if any.
Perhaps his pants need to be a little baggier rather than form-fitting.
Probably should have started with a crate would be done by now.
I still need to go in and eliminate some polys that aren't neccesary for profile or deformation, as well as adding a few cuts where I need more definition (probably need to put some joints in first)
I will next move on to unwrapping him in BP3, then perhaps give him a go in Mudbox for the normal map, then back to BP for color, etc.

Crits welcomed

Raytraced

Editor

Editor

Editor Wire

Old 02-22-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
ernia
Mad Knight

portfolio
Arik Thuesen
USA

Hi Wes,

Pretty nice! I like the details on the boot edges.

Check out Tank's Low-Poly forum on 3dAttack. They have already done a battle axe, but check it out anyway. Might be fun for you.

ernia

Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Joseppi
You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out!

portfolio
Joe Mercier
Graphic Designer / Art Director
Grand Rapids, USA

Wes,

Thanks for posting. I have been interested in applying aspects of "gaming" modelling lately, having spent a little more time playing a few video games which have "making of" extras, or visible wireframe overlays as part of the game graphics (loading screens, etc.) It struck me with the games that lighting, animation and enviroment, along with the low poly models, can create quite an effective overall impression. The technical/perfectionist/ego approach would be "build the highest detail possible" but, from working in stagecraft (theater sets) to seeing Hollywood FX miniature models up close, often the approach is to build only what's needed or that will be seen. It's nice to see the cross-disciplinary approach you are taking.

This character seems different than your prior Troll sketch. Is this a new character, or did the design evolve once you got into modelling?

Joe

PS: I don't know if you should change the pants... maybe skin-tight vinyl or pleather could be the look. Is this troll going to be the frontman for a speed metal/thraser band? It could work!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
bobtronic
aka bobtronic

portfolio
Matthias Bober
3D monkey
Frankfurt, Germany

that looks pretty cool Wes, how many polys are this now?

cheers,
Bob

Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
wesware
what the?...

portfolio
Wes Ware
Wes Ware Creative
Nashville, USA

Hey, thanks for replying guys.

ernia: thanks. yes, I plan on hanging out at 3dattack a little more and possibly get in on some of those low-poly challenges.

Joe: That's exactly how I feel. I really think there is so much that can be done with texturing. It not only reduces (usually) rendertimes but can also achieve an overall more interesting and possibly realistic scene. My tendency in 3d is too keep adding geomtry and detail often overbloating the scene, then try to get a look I'd like to achieve soley from the use of procedurals. I'd like to get away from that and see what other possibilities there are.

Bob: Thanks! Well, he's currently at 3886 tris and his ax is 252. That's me doing a triangulate on all the quads. I really think I can go back in a shave 800 tris off without changing the shape much. Problem is, I don't have the rigging experience to tell what polys can go and the most effecient way to model joints for deformation. I do look at alot of wireframes from other artists, so I have learned some. Probably just need to get some joints in there and see what works best.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Tank_3D_Attack
Forging The Holy Poly

portfolio
Thomas Pasieka
3D Artist/Publisher
3D ATTACK
USA

Very good looking work so far Wesware. I believe you could make the character look a tad more "impressive" by changing the pants and adding additional eyecatcher onto him. Things like gloves or a necklace with bones or whatnot will add to the characters "impression". Or something like protective gear (maybe just one shoulder with a strap or the likes).

I am sure you can get rid of some tri's by optimizing the character a tad. It currently looks very clean and nice. I always try to reduce the model to the max without destroying the shape.

Hope to see you on our forum as well. Ernia mentioned the challenges already but do not forget that we have more than just the challenges. We like to invite everybody to talk about "Low Poly" Art.

Good job so far Wesware!

Oh and in case you haven't seen it yet....we created a plugin for "low poly artist" which counts your triangles or quads and let's you define a specific budget. Check it out here:

http://www.biomekk.com/index.php?page=3&cat=107&itm=13

Thomas

Last edited by Tank_3D_Attack : 02-22-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
wesware
what the?...

portfolio
Wes Ware
Wes Ware Creative
Nashville, USA

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for checking it out! I appreciate the tips and crits.
Yes, I need to do a little research on armor, perhaps a guard on his shoulder or a forearm sheild? I'm also considering a helmet. I need to reduce some polys first. I'm thinking some areas like the top of the hand and his cheeks are a good place to start, as well as the front of his shins and thighs. could knock a few out on his boots also.

Looking forward to hanging out at 3dattack.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
wesware
what the?...

portfolio
Wes Ware
Wes Ware Creative
Nashville, USA

Thomas,

Forgot to mention, downloaded the plug, will defitely be using it.
Thanks for all that the Attack does for the community.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Tank_3D_Attack
Forging The Holy Poly

portfolio
Thomas Pasieka
3D Artist/Publisher
3D ATTACK
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesware
Thomas,

Forgot to mention, downloaded the plug, will defitely be using it.
Thanks for all that the Attack does for the community.

You are very welcome Wesware. Hope to see you participating on our forum as well...we low poly folks have to stick together Sharing knowledge in that area is something we are trying to do for people like you and me who want to get into game/low poly modeling.

Thomas

Old 02-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
cyartist
Lord of the posts

the,one
visionary
maryland, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Looks great nice edge flow!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
benytone
Lord of the posts
Germany

Hey WesWare, its a nice low poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_3D_Attack

Oh *************(we created a plugin for "low poly artist) ************* Check it out here:

http://www.biomekk.com/index.php?page=3&cat=107&itm=13

Thomas

loool, what is this...Bing, Bing, Bing!
Nice

Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread