CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Miscellaneous > Autodesk MotionBuilder
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 02-26-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
Michel Besner
Second year pricing for MB Personal/Freelancer edition

Kaydara is currently working on a new product offering for MOTIONBUILDER that will include lower priced configurations. As part of this new pricing structure, we want to make sure that all of our Personal/Freelancer Edition users will have the best possible upgrade path once their one-year license is expired.

To this end, we will have a very special promotion where, if you own the Personal/Freelancer one-year license, you will be able to upgrade to a PERMANENT license of the base package of MOTIONBUILDER for ONLY $100USD. This once in a lifetime offer will be valid between August 1st and December 31st 2003. This means that you will end up paying only $200USD for a permanent license of MOTIONBUILDER!

After December 31st 2003, you will be able to upgrade to the base package of MOTIONBUILDER for only $350USD. Please note that you will need to upgrade BEFORE your license expires.

I don?t think that we could have made this promotion any more exciting but I think that we?ve gone out of our way to make this special! We believe that you will see the unbelievable value of this promotion and tell all your friends about this amazing upgrade path to a permanent license.

Kaydara cares about your business and we want to make sure that you will be happy using MOTIONBUILDER for a long time.

Michel Besner
Vice-President Business Development - Emerging Markets
Old 02-26-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Forum Monkey
Tony O'Dell
Director of Motion Design
Evanston, USA
After this jaw dropping announcement all I can say is WOW!!!!
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
-Douglas Adams

Old 02-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
animator in training
Brandon Ayers
Birmingham, USA
Send a message via AIM to thedaemon Send a message via MSN to thedaemon Send a message via Yahoo to thedaemon
Wow!!! thank you guys so much.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:37 PM   #4
Are we there yet?
Marco Antonio Peixoto
A few Keys here and there
Valence, France

Currently i dont have MotionBuilder, if i buy it now, my license will finish in an year from now, but if i do buy it, do i have acess to this promotion anyway?

Old 02-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #5
Duchampian Fanatic
visual designer
very very cool Michel!

Thanks for the offer.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:52 AM   #6
The Angry Eva
John Pattullo
United Kingdom
yeah if you buy the $100 version now come august you'll be able to upgrade for another $100 and own permenate copy of motionbuilder - great deal i got the $100 motionbuilder already and its well worth it makes character animation easy =)
Old 02-27-2003, 05:17 AM   #7
Smooth-Running Gun
Markcus Dunn
What will be missing from the base package? I assume you're going to go with a modular approach like c4d?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
Guillaume Wyatt
Freelance Lighting/Shading Supervisor
Hannover, Germany
are there any limitations what MOTIONBUILDER wil import/export from Lightwave and Maya? as I am loocking for a tool to get maya animations back into Lightwave for rendering and dont want to loose all cool skining and deformations you can do with maya ( softbody) dynamics and so on) ?
What actually are the differences between Motionbuilder and Motionbuilder PE? I canīt find anything on the site, itīs lacking quite a bit of information on what you get for 100 bucks against the regular price of Sale Price:$895.00 USD ( before it was $4,190.00 USD) I mean there must be some limitations, but nothing on the website mentions it. also the tech specs you can download are reduced to a minimum. nothing that says what it imports and what it exports exactly. it doesnīt tell me weather it is able to act as a scene converter between to other apps, with all the deformations and uvīs , so you donīt have to animate in maya ( or Motiondesigner) and then export the scene to Lightwave for texturing and rendering only to see that all the deformations are messed up and that I have to do it all over again in Lightwave. If it works all fine and I know what the limitations are, I wonīt hesitate and order a copy today, but if it doesnt work propperly back and forth between Maya and Lightwave, then even 200 bucks are too much for me, as I dont have money to spend for fancy cardboard boxes to catch dust on the bookshelf. So please could anybody illuminate me with words of wisdom?

Last edited by MrWyatt : 02-27-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
Lord of the posts
Dr Rebs Rebo PhD
United Kingdom
Download the video tutorials on, that should provide you with an idea of what the program does.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:50 PM   #10
Great news! My only question is along the same lines as Brian_dlm - Will we retain all functionality we had for the preceeding year or is the "base package" a downgrade of sorts? Either way it's the steal of the century at $200 - so not a complaint, just curiosity.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:49 AM   #11
zombie slaying rugby plyr
Todd Widup
Sr Creature TD
Cardinal Pier, United Kingdom

you actually want something like the Beaver Project, which bakes the deformations from Maya to a cache file for import into LW. MB will only get the motions of the joints across, not the deformations from your rig in Maya
Good . . . Bad . . . I'm the guy with the gun.

<.|.. My comments are not those of my employer(s)
Old 07-24-2003, 03:35 AM   #12
If I upgrade, do I get a print manual instead of just online help?
Old 07-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #13
Michel Besner
When upgrading to the permanent license of MB5, you will get the complete package including the books (upgrade price does not include s&h fees or local taxes ...)

Michel Besner
Old 07-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #14
concept / matte
I know its not too far away, but let us know about preorders, or can we expect Aug.1

Old 07-25-2003, 12:37 AM   #15
Michel Besner
Pre-orders will start August 1st.

Michel Besner
Thread Closed share thread