Fantasy Game Character...crits please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2007   #1
Fantasy Game Character...crits please

Hello, this is a fantasy character based on a concept provided by the company Wizards of the Coast as an art test. Crits welcome. Thanks

this one may need to load it's animated

Old 02 February 2007   #2
I like the tatoo designs...

texture map looks like an excellent start. seems a little too bright unless that just may be for critique purposes or cell-shaded type look. it would be cool if you capture alot of that scrawny muscle striations in the normal map too and deeper wrinkle in the forehead. Unless you are trying to make him look younger, it's all good.
I'm not sure if it is the camera angle, but the feet and ankles look small too.
Unless that is the proportions you want, it's fine.
The loin cloth is a bit symmetrical. a more definite asymmetrical approach and more rugged tears capture that dirty hand torn feel.
Other than that. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the progress on this.

Last edited by TheToonimator : 02 February 2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: fixed sentence

Old 02 February 2007   #3
I was going for a younger look but thank for the crit. I plan on working on the normals a bit more. Maybe add in some more detail to the skin. The brightness is based mostly on how i rendered it. I kinda thought it looked neat and cartoony. But yeah, normal renderings make it look darker. I"ll post one like that eventually.

Old 02 February 2007   #4
its a very cool model nice maps i say

Old 02 February 2007   #5
overall it's not bad, but in this case the normal map is useless, It does't add visible détails on the model... use Zbrush or a highpoly model to generate it, it will give better results.
I wonder why the eye and the skull are big on your map and small on your model, it can be optimized.

Old 02 February 2007   #6
I know you said that you wanted to make him a younger version of the concept art but I personally would try to stick as close to the concept art as possible especially if you're going to post the concept art. If you plan on using this as a portfolio piece to get into the games industry I think it's very important that if you're modeling from concept art that it matches as closely as possible. That's what anyone reviewing your portfolio will do.

How did you generate your normal map? For some reason it looks like you used the nvidia filter? You're missing all of the striations in the chest and any muscle definition that a normal map would add. It looks like you tried to add higher frequency detail, ie. bumps on the skin, than lower frequency detail, ie. musculature. If you're going to use normal maps on your model you should sculpt a highpoly mesh using zbrush, mudbox, or your app of choice. Model the low poly around it. Optimize the lowpoly as low as you can get it. Uv map it. Bake normal maps and ambient occlusion maps. Texture.

The color map is strange? The space the eye takes up is huge. You should match textel sizes when you lay out your uv's. Some engines require this as it is a performance hit to render models with different textel sizes on the same mesh. You should add an ambient occlusion layer to your color map to make the details pop better. Even adding a sky dome and baking the light to texture to overlay on your color map would help.

The polycount is way too excessive for a half clothed model. This model could be optimized quite a bit. Check out poopinmymouth's model. Super optimized.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/klaus_poses.jpg

Hope this helps. Keep rockin.

Miyamoto Musashi

Old 02 February 2007   #7
thanks for the crits.

I do normally model highs for the normals. I wasn't even planning on making a normals map i just wanted to see how it would work if i generated one in photoshop. More of a test than anything else.
I usually model a high and gererate then add small details like cloth later on top of the generated normals.
Thanks again

Old 02 February 2007   #8
So since this project was never supposed to have normals i just got rid of them. It was more of a test to see what i could get away with making normals in photoshop. Anywho...so the top image is now a new rendering.
I'll see what i can do about lowering the poly count and what not thanks for all the crits.

edit: oh and as to why the eye is so big? well....per chance. As i was laying out the UV's i had a gap there so I just filled it up.

Old 02 February 2007   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread