Python: regular expressions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2007   #1
Python: regular expressions

I'm completely new to Python, and don't like the tab/space thing for block control, but in the spirit of trying to learn a new language, I'm thinking of doing my Lego-block loading scriptin in Python instead of Perl. (It would also make it easier to create a Lego plugin completely in Python once I get ahold of a version of Maya later than 6.0)

How is Python as far as regular expressions go? I assume that there is some kind of module to handle all the nifty regexp features? How does it compare to Perl's handling of the same?

Old 02 February 2007   #2
The regular expression module is called re:

import re

I'm not sure how it compares to perl but it's well featured and fairly simple to use. You can find docs for the module here:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-re.html

hope that helps

Old 02 February 2007   #3
Originally Posted by shufflebreaker: The regular expression module is called re:

import re

I'm not sure how it compares to perl but it's well featured and fairly simple to use. You can find docs for the module here:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-re.html

hope that helps

Thanks. Turns out that the original OReilly _Mastering Regular Expressions_ has a section on Python and re, according to the Python FAQs. I have that book, just can't find it.

Will check your reference also.

Old 02 February 2007   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread