Hamzters Sketchbook (newbie warning!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2007   #1
Hamzters Sketchbook (newbie warning!)

Well I've finally got round to starting a sketchbook thread, i've been sketching and painting for about 5 months now, and my aim is to draw at least once a day. With a bit (or a lot) of perseverence, maybe I'll actually pick up a bit of skill . I found MindCandyMans Thread has been a huge inspiration, perhaps one day I'll be able to inspire someone else to do the same. C&C very welcome, and feel free to suggest things for me to draw/paint!

Ok, first couple of sketches, in no way my best stuff, but I gotta start somewhere. Girls face (about 20 mins), I realise it's a little unsymetrical, i should have flipped it while i was doing it!!:

And second, some clouds I saw floating past the window earlier (5 or 10 mins):

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #2
Sounds like you should join up with the daily sketch forum. You can find it by , clicking forums, mini challenges , then the daily sketch thread. It is a great place to learn and the topics are always challenging and make you think , besides it is really cool to see what everyone comes up with.

Old 02 February 2007   #3
I entered one last week actually It was the 'myself as a plush toy' one...

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #4
ha ha yeah, thought your name looked familiar, and your little pull string is so cute

Old 02 February 2007   #5
I've been concentrating on noses and mouths today, mainly side views. Not been paying much attention to anything else so it's a little wierd looking...

More tmrow!

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #6
Ack, my computer decided to die on me this week, up and running again now tho. Here's a couple of eye sketches...

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #7
Studying hands today, slowly getting the hang of them, this time last week they looked like they'd been steam rollered

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #8
Another face today, just practicing shading really, it looks kinda like a girly guy or a manly girl tho, I need to learn about the differences between male and female faces! Anyone know of any good sites that explains the key differences?

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #9
Ah so there is another "hamster" creaping around here eh? =)

Welcome to the boards!

Tip: Using reference is not a weakness. It's actually a sign of strength.

Old 02 February 2007   #10
Some more...

Hamzters Sketchbook

Last edited by Hamzter : 03 March 2007 at 07:41 PM.

Old 03 March 2007   #11
Animals this week I've also been doing some perspective, although I find it's very difficult to set up the vanishing points in photoshop, they'd be waaaay off the canvas if I did the pic full size, instead I'm having to do a picture that takes up maybe 1/3 of the canvas to get a reasonable perspective. I was wondering maybe there's a photoshop addon that aids putting down pespective lines? Like one where u set the vanishing points in relation to the cavas and then you can place perspective lines automatically...

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #12
Looking at doing some landscapes and trees today, I'm quite proud of the tree, I spend a while looking through the brushes for one suitable for doing leafee things, one called 'Wet Brush' seemed to do the trick! I got a bit lazy towards the bottom though, and couldn't remember what brush settings I was using at first. Out of curiosity, what kinda of brushes are popular for this kinda thing? The mountain pic looks quite good also from a distance imo, but I failed while trying to add any kinda of detail (so it looks better if u go out of focus and crosseyed ).

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #13
Couple more trees and a garden scene...

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #14
Some african scene, just a practice at colours, about 45 mins, i think it's too saturated but i'm really not sure...

Hamzters Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #15
Did an entry for the 'Japanese Morning' daily sketch today, i can't get the sun to look intense enough though, anyone got any tips?

Hamzters Sketchbook

Thread Closed share thread