HARDCORE MODELING: Ray Harryhausen Tribute: Diorama

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2007   #1
HARDCORE MODELING: Ray Harryhausen Tribute: Diorama

I'm going to do some shot from this fight sequence with Kali, which has always been my favourite, or at least the thing I remember most from those Sinbad movies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (51.9 KB, 677 views)

Old 01 January 2007   #2
Great choice! The shot you're picking as well as the creature are really nice.

Old 01 January 2007   #3
Cool choice look forward to seeing how it tuns out. One of the more memorable scenes for sure.

Old 01 January 2007   #4
u started yet? ;P

Old 01 January 2007   #5
Yea great choice, im looking forward to seeing this too

Old 01 January 2007   #6
Rod - awesome choice - I am looking forward to seeing the progress

Old 01 January 2007   #7
Hi oDDity,

Nice work, that's one of my favorite scenes of Sinbad as well, you gotta love the multiple arms, seems like a pretty daunting task, other then that, looking forward to your progress, keep it up.

Take care

Old 01 January 2007   #8
I only got around to starting it yesterday. Just a base mesh at this stage and the pose.
I'm not sure how much I'll do with sculpting and how much with polygons. Half and half probably. There's not very much serious high rez sculpting to do on the body as far as anatomy, since it's meant to be a simple pagan idol, and not supposed to look like Michelangelo sculpted it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire1.jpg (91.3 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg wire2.jpg (61.4 KB, 210 views)

Old 01 January 2007   #9
No critiques good to see you start. Looks like a nice mesh. looking forward to progress are you doing a whole scene.

Old 01 January 2007   #10
looks good so far!

Old 01 January 2007   #11
Hi oDDity,

Nice work, yeah i'd keep the base mesh low res and sculpt your way up, unless you're gonna animate your work, lock the feet to the ground, otherwise it might look like the character is going to fall over, good job on the overall pose, other then that, keep it up..!

Take care

Old 01 January 2007   #12
From looking through your website, I cannot wait to see this one finished - your work is quite amazing. I have added a photo for you in the reference thread, if you need it.

D,

Old 01 January 2007   #13
I have the movie to take stills from, but every little helps, thanks.
There were two versions of the Kali model used in the movie, there was a full sized one and a minature one for the animation. It's mainly the full size one I'm referencing.
This is some more detail added, maily just poly modeling, I did some basic sculpting of anatomy, but not too much, becasue it will ruin the style of this charcater.
The other character is just there for scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kali22.jpg (31.6 KB, 351 views)

Old 02 February 2007   #14
Woah very cool. I think just keep it at this level and texture and rig it. Nice work.

Old 02 February 2007   #15
im not sure how the full sized model looks but the one on the reference seems different. urs look more anatomically correct then the actual stop motion puppet. the face also seems a bit long and thin on urs compared to the puppet. personally i like urs better and im not sure whether or not ur trying to be as accurate or just making it look cool. looks great so far man.

Thread Closed share thread