TUTORIAL: Ingres - Walk Through...by Intervain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
Smile TUTORIAL: Ingres - Walk Through...by Intervain

• Rebeccak suggested I create this thread and share my thoughts about how I painted those two images. Hope it will be helpful!
  • This is by no means a tutorial! I have only started learning how to paint myself and I would not presume I have the solutions to anything... I will only give you my insight into the 2 weeks of experiencing Ingres first hand and some tips on how to paint them dresses ....

• When working in b&w I always begin with a black canvas. I first set my brush to HARD, opacity around 20% and smudge around a little with white paint... This gives me a wide range of values to work with - from now on I simply pick from that mess
  • I start with a small brush and draw basic shapes for the head and the rest of the body [you can see that stage in the middle of the image]
  • To get the proportions roughly right I always set the original master image and the study canvas at the same sizes - this way I can put them side by side and use my eye instead of a grid - obviously this is less exact [as you can see on your left, her hand is way too big now ] but much faster than using the grid...

• now I have the rough shape I can correct those things which are visibly wrong - here I'll use a few guide lines - a mock grid just for the places I need it... that's where the exact size of the canvas is handy
  • I also roughly paint in the placing of the important parts of the painting - here you can see the placing of the laces and ribbons for example...
  • I also started roughing in the shapes of the dresses... for that I zoomed out quite a lot [so as not too see the details] and used a hard brush to paint only the bright parts first. Once you've got those laid down you can zoom in and start painting the detail around them.

01 January 2007
  • now the fun part begins - the details... lots of them
  • I usually jump around since I don't have the patience to concentrate on one area for a long time... So you can see I did a bit of a face together with parts of the dress A big mess...

• more detailing - and obviously lots of corrections [thanks to the great crits from the Forum participants!]
  • I also flipped the image horizontally at one stage and discovered that the face was quite a bit disfigured. I like to use the liquify tool to correct things like this and then paint over the blurred part! This way you see the change instantly

• with this second painting I was being a bit less meticulous + I also discovered that I can paint most things with the hard brush and blur the edges instead of using the soft brush. It's a good method for doing those cloth folds in particular. As you can see from the closeup, they're rather rough - only when you zoom out the fabric looks good
  • the pearls are a nightmare and I haven't though of painting 1 and duplicating it over and over again [I should have, being a 3d person] so I painted a strap of dark and then made little circles across it - that's it... but still quite time consuming...
  • As for the lace - just imagine the cloth without it first and then use simple white, around 20 % opacity to draw some swirlies or mock up flowers... As you can see it's a mess in close-up as well

01 January 2007
  • final grey scale images are by no means the end of the road :( - I discovered that there's a lot of detail in Ingres' paintings that has similiar values but different hues - so you just have to paint it in colour... That applies to the different shades in the faces and some subtle cloth patterns in particular...

• to make the coloured version I used a layer with COLOR MODE on and just slapped basic tones on... the way it works is really satisfying...
  • then I just painted on some details and corrected things I did not like
  • finally I did some colour corrections and saved the final version - which is more red and blue than the first attempts

• with the experiences of the first image behind me I was more adventerous with the second one and felt more confident that when I messed up I could just paint over it and the world would not end
  • I think I ought to mention that I don't work in layers - I just have one layer and paint everything on top of each other [except for the lace which did get it's own layer]
  • sometimes I'll make a layer to experiment but usually I'll just go berserk and paint on top of what I've got... [perhaps that's careless but I like it that way]
  • So as you can see I went crazy and started painting the face without looking at the original any more. I also made some colour adjustements and changed the brightness and contrast of the image
  • at the end I decided I wanted the face a bit more similar to the original and the image a bit more yellowish after all so I made the necessary adjustements and merged the layers
Well that's it! I haven't discovered America - but I have learned a lot! First and foremost patience and respect for the masters Good luck with your studies!

Last edited by Intervain : 01 January 2007 at 10:13 PM.

01 January 2007
Awesome, thanks a lot! This is really nicely put together, and much appreciated.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2007
well hope it'll be of use Like I've said before my way of working is rather messy and not exactly methodological...

01 January 2007
Thanks Intervain for sharing your techniques!

01 January 2007
That is some accurate technique you got there! Would this B&W to Colour work on personal projects like the pieces you see in the 2D Gallery, or does this only apply to copying masters?

Thanks.

Sketchbook

01 January 2007
Red face

hey guys thanks very much - I'm glad it can be of some use

Catherine - thank you

Fl3wk - oh it can be applied to any painting Stahlberg describes this method very well in his great tutorial you'll find here: painting tutorial

Like I've said I did not invent the wheel or discover America - I learned from my betters and Mr. Stahlberg's tut was one I came across quite some time ago os it's only shameful I tried it so late !

01 January 2007
Most important thing I'm learning from doing a simular study is what you said in your last sentence:

value and hue are 2 totally different things

Thanks for sharing Magdalena!

01 January 2007
Thanks so much for the tutorial. I can't believe you did pretty much all of it on one layer. I'll have to keep your advice in mind when I do my own studies.

01 January 2007
Johan - thanks for visiting

Asatira - well I really do not like layers I realize I would probably save myself a lot of time by using them and could also make the thing better but it's just personal preference... if you like layers use them by all means! thanks for visiting

03 March 2007
Hey Magdalena,

How are u ?
Thanks for sharing your technique !! it help a lot..=) i am gonna practice now !!
I have a question that maybe people would be interested, How big was your image when you started to work on it ?

03 March 2007
Thank you for sharing your process! I really admired seeing these pieces come together during that workshop

04 April 2007
Intervain,

What truly excellent use of this technique! I'm so glad you explained your approach to painting b/w to color mode. When some one freshly learns a method, it's dispersed more completely because you describe the little snags and workarounds that you experienced.

I was always curious as to how certain effects are achieved in photoshop. The satin is so tangible.

Great paintings and great thread.

04 April 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread