Materials - ridiculous slowdowns

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
Materials - ridiculous slowdowns

I know this has come up before for some others here, but I would be fascinated to hear from anybody that has an explanation or workaround!

Time and time again, I'll go to select a material in the manager, and go to edit one of it's channels, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a procedural shader or a bitmap btw - then I get the spinning beachball for quite a while before I can continue - then I can switch to another material, and have the same bloody problem over and over - it makes what should take only a few minutes, take ages, and is very frustrating!

Also - I just imported a series of 3DS objects, and had to wait ages (with the same beachball) to be able to access them - the objects all came in straight away, but the materials took a huge amount of time to load, and display thumbnail previews.

Now the 3DS file is in the same folder as all the texture maps, which are .tif, so it's not like it should need to look for anything!

What gives??

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

01 January 2007
I have no solution, but I'd also be very interested in one.
Cheers
Boxy

01 January 2007
Are you using external HD's? Do your preferences link to that external HD? I noticed that this can slow down things dramatically. Shouldn't be that way. However, this is just my observation. I am not quite sure why you are getting this kind of "lag". Maybe somebody else has input on that?

Thomas

01 January 2007
Thomas,

No this all on internal SATA 7200 HDs - so that should not be an issue.

When this was mentioned before, there seemed to be a Mac, or even just a G5 bias - is this the case? - does anybody on a PC, or an intel based Mac have the same issues?

I am on a dual 2.5Ghz G5 running 10.4 and R10, but it happened in R9.5/6 as I remember also.

Cheers
Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

01 January 2007
I am on a dual 2.7 PPC OsX10.4, R10, so pretty much the same setup. The lag has always been there since R8 when I started using C4D.
Cheers
Boxy

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by kromekat: Thomas,

No this all on internal SATA 7200 HDs - so that should not be an issue.

When this was mentioned before, there seemed to be a Mac, or even just a G5 bias - is this the case? - does anybody on a PC, or an intel based Mac have the same issues?

I am on a dual 2.5Ghz G5 running 10.4 and R10, but it happened in R9.5/6 as I remember also.

Cheers
Adam

I can't believe this was just posted, I came here to look around to see if anyone else if having this problem with r10. It is miserable for sure. I am on a Mac Pro 2.66 4g ram, seems to mainly be psd's for me. Today, I flattened a psd and reimported it and it cleaned it up a bit, but man, I have had this problem a couple of times, brings C4D to a crawl. I was hoping to see some kind of an update to download to fix this.

-Jim

01 January 2007
Don't have any problems like that on my PC... I might suggest careful checking of which directories you have listed in your preferences as texture paths -- if there are a lot of directories (and/or a lot of files in them) -- I know it can take a while as it's trying to search through all those. Other than that, can't help, sorry.

01 January 2007
But if the files related to the materials are all in the same directory as the model, then why would it search beyond that in that instance?

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

01 January 2007
Yes I have the same problem. I find this R10 very slow with a lot of things.

I noticed, and I'm not alone with this, is that if you have some Xpresso setup etc. and you select a point on your mesh, it takes a wile before the viewport updates.
You can see the selected point, but before the axis jumps to the selected point you must wait a little time or move the viewport.
This is also for Poly selections and edge selections.
If I turn of the "use expressions" option, then the problem is over.
It has nothing to do with E-OpenGL. If I turn that of, the problem still exist.

I have wrote an Email to Maxon support, But they could not help me.
The told me that they forward this problem to the developers.
Although I get the feeling that they don't believe me or do not know what to do with this problem.

If anyone has some time and want to take a look at the problem file to see if you get the same problems, be my guest. I will attach it with this post.
It is a very simple setup. Nothing fancy, or complicated.
It opens within the point mode and the "use Expressions" option on.
Try to select a few points on the mesh.
Turn of the "use expressions" option and try to select a few points and notice the different.

Anyway, I hope that there are more members that have problems with this.
On C4DCafe, there are more members that have the same problem with this.

Peace,
Rich_Art.

Last edited by Rich-Art : 01 January 2007 at 08:10 PM.

01 January 2007
If you use the live selection tool(arrow in circle), points are slower
to react for some reason than using the model tool ( 4 arrows) at times.

When that happens I usually use the model tool with shift key depressed.

Other times this is not a problem ???? I have no idea, I just work with it.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by Rich-Art:
If anyone has some time and want to take a look at the problem file to see if you get the same problems, be my guest. I will attach it with this post.
It is a very simple setup. Nothing fancy, or complicated.
It opens within the point mode and the "use Expressions" option on.
Try to select a few points on the mesh.
Turn of the "use expressions" option and try to select a few points and notice the different.

Anyway, I hope that there are more members that have problems with this.
On C4DCafe, there are more members that have the same problem with this.

Peace,
Rich_Art.

I can confirm. After selecting a new point, it turned orange instantly but, after 4.5 minutes (I got tired of waiting), the axis was still at the original point. With expressions off, everything is just fine.

G5 2.0 with 2.5 G of RAM ATI 9600.

Jorge Arango

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by vid2k2: If you use the live selection tool(arrow in circle), points are slower
to react for some reason than using the model tool ( 4 arrows) at times.

When that happens I usually use the model tool with shift key depressed.

Other times this is not a problem ???? I have no idea, I just work with it.

I can confirm this too, when selecting the new point with the move tool, the axis goes to the new point instantly.

Jorge Arango

01 January 2007
I played with Rich's scene and I found that disabling the Hypernurbs and the Skin object will speed things right up like they ought to be. It seems to be the viewport updating that is lagging... select whatever, and then rotate the view (or whatever) and it instantly jumps to where it ought to be, even without disabling those...

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by Rich-Art: Try to select a few points on the mesh.
I'm using a PC and see no delay when dragging any number of points in the test scene with expressions enabled. I'd suggest that this was a Mac issue except ascent seems to be experiencing delays with this scene on a PC.

01 January 2007
Seems to me that the Expressions are the problem.
'Freeze' with Point Selection Tool but OK when selecting with the Move Tool.
Disable Expressions and both tools work fine.

There appears to be some re-draw issue. Moving the window forces an update.
I'm on a G5 Quad with GeForce 6600.

HTH, Alan.

Thread Closed share thread