2006Retrospect

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2006   #1
2006Retrospect

Well here it is! The 2006 Retrospective as voted by the community. Looking back, it has been one of those amazing years with new software, hardware and immense new ways to use them both in full cinema-release productions. Have a read and feel free to comment.

This article was compiled using information gleaned from the thread populated by your posts, so should be seen as a reflective of what 2006 CG items you felt were the best.

Old 12 December 2006   #2
Arrow

fair enough, I don't get tired of checking out number 1

Old 12 December 2006   #3
cool thanks paul !

Old 12 December 2006   #4
What?

I was expecting it

Last edited by ErmanSinan : 12 December 2006 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Missunderstanding

Old 12 December 2006   #5
Excellent list.
With all due respect I'd ask you guys to change the name of one of the links on the bottom of the last page:
http://features.cgsociety.org/story...p?story_id=3667
It is linked under tthe name of Aaron Sims, where I suppose it should be linked as Aaron McBride.

Old 12 December 2006   #6
Woot! Happy new year! Here's to another great year!

Old 12 December 2006   #7
oohoo, Happy New Year, CGTalk !

Old 12 December 2006   #8
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DDS: fair enough, I don't get tired of checking out number 1

Number 15 for me, but thats with all things, different people, different tastes.

I agree that dead mans chest was a visual thing close to a delicatesse, but i don't like seafood

Now something like "best things (CG wise) expected for 2007"?

Old 12 December 2006   #9
Thanks for the list!
It is sad that some of the things has caught me unaware.

I would love to have a list of the things to be in 2007!

Lets do that!

Old 12 December 2006   #10
Unfortunately, the reason Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead's Man Chest is easily the number one CG occurence is almost completely missed by the summation written in this article. It rules supreme because it's literally the first CG integrated character (Davey Jones) that fooled the masses and experts alike. A huge leap forward in the eventual success and acceptance of CG in cinema and subsequent entertainment mediums.

Last edited by MrPositive : 12 December 2006 at 11:09 AM.

Old 12 December 2006   #11
I my self prefer the animation feature CARS .not cuz I`m a fan of pixar .becuz it was simply amazing and impressed me a lot . from my side I think it was great .by the way I`m not sure if this current comment that I`v dropped in this thread is right . anyway I`m so excited for the new baby of pixar which is realasing on comming summer . Cheers

Old 12 December 2006   #12
i like the way you voted the 20 positions.
but i keep wonder wtf is Pixar Cras doing in theare ?
sorry but this is realy i childish cartoonish thinggg, i realy dont find it cool, either cool CG or anything else.
okey, its a demonstration of Pixars renderman, but so what ?
i keep wonder

Old 12 December 2006   #13
Mr Positive - hey buddy you should go back and read #1 of the article. It mentions that in the #1 spot. PLus Davy Jones wasnt all CG. Mostly was but they did have an actor in his clothing on the set with some mocap spots around the lips and eyes and they replaced part of him as well as another member of the crew. So he is mostly CG but not completely. Besides wouldnt the first successful CG integrated character be that very character in your avatar? Gollem?

Old 12 December 2006   #14
pimento - Part of the reason is because it is one of the first feature films to use Raytracing in the pipeline with rendering. THat's worth mentioning alone IMO. And it looked just beautiful as a result.

Old 12 December 2006   #15
Originally Posted by feeesh: Mr Positive - hey buddy you should go back and read #1 of the article. It mentions that in the #1 spot. PLus Davy Jones wasnt all CG. Mostly was but they did have an actor in his clothing on the set with some mocap spots around the lips and eyes and they replaced part of him as well as another member of the crew. So he is mostly CG but not completely. Besides wouldnt the first successful CG integrated character be that very character in your avatar? Gollem?
Um, "CG" stands for "computer graphics". Everything you saw onscreen of Davey Jones was computer graphics, even the animation; the completely replaced Nighy with the CG character and the "mocap" was actually just reference video for the animators to go by (I may be slightly off on that one as I think the may have done post-filming mocap). All the dots on Bill Nighy's face and body did was give the animators something to work with and/or copy, and the only reason he had makeup around his mouth and eyes was because they had originally planned to use the real actor's eyes and mouth if the CG ones didn't look realistic enough.

Thread Closed share thread