X-Refs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
X-Refs

I'm wondering if C4D has some sort of external referencing system.

Back in 99-2000 when I was working with 3dsmax a bit, there was an x-ref system.
Where you bring objects into the scene, but those objects still retain an independance from the scene. So when you make changes in the original objects scene, those changes are reflected in the scene that you've referenced them in.

At the moment, I'm working on a rustic open lot scene that I've created some 50 gallon drums, shipping paletts, several mundane industrial background objects, and hypodermic syringes to spread around the scene.
Now, what I would like to be able to do is to make small changes to the geometry and texturing in the objects file, and have those changes reflected in the full composition scene file.
Does C4D have this ability?
I've looked around and can't seem to see anywhere to do this.

12 December 2006
No it doesn't. It's probably the most obvious deficiency the program has. I believe R10 added the ability to store morph data externally but that's it.

12 December 2006
Sorry if you already know this, but by using instances of your objects, you can change geometry and textures to the base object and have it automatically applied it to all copies.
Still, especially when working in a collaborative studio project, x-referencing is really needed.

Dave W.

12 December 2006
Alright thanks guys.
I guess I'll have to make do with instancing.

I can't imagine why cinema doesn't have x-refs yet?
I'm sure eventually it'll be there.

We should get a sticky going here that lists features that we all want to see implemented in the future, maybe Maxon will see what features are most in demand and reciprocate.

12 December 2006
that all being said, i have been working on a project in max, and xref's worked like crap. we could not even get it to be something worth using in the end.

hopefully maxon will implement something better.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by dtoxxx: I can't imagine why cinema doesn't have x-refs yet?
I'm sure eventually it'll be there.

Yes, it's direly needed.

Mylenium

12 December 2006
maybe something like samir nature spirit instances could be used for something like this..i think its volumetric instances but might help.

remo started doing something in ditools which can reference unfortunately no texture data is available so its not useful really. also i think per anders might have done something along these lines and probably even darf but i don't think any of them ever completed it...certainly its something i'd expect to make it into something like engineering bundle or some archvis thing certainly...does seem unusual that it doesn't exist..i'd like to see them improve instancing to be honest so it can handle far large quantities but thats along with booooket rendering would be nice..

Henry Moore

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by flingster: maybe something like samir nature spirit instances could be used for something like this..i think its volumetric instances but might help.

remo started doing something in ditools which can reference unfortunately no texture data is available so its not useful really. also i think per anders might have done something along these lines and probably even darf but i don't think any of them ever completed it...certainly its something i'd expect to make it into something like engineering bundle or some archvis thing certainly...does seem unusual that it doesn't exist..i'd like to see them improve instancing to be honest so it can handle far large quantities but thats along with booooket rendering would be nice..

All what you are saying notwithstanding, but you are missing what is the really important part of working with external references: Working in groups/ teams where one artist can change a thing and those changes are reflected in scenes referencing those other items. To me that is the meain reason why C4D is not being used more in really big productions because when you change something, it always affects your entire scene file.

As for "true" instancing - that certainly is needed as well for tools like MoGraph, Thinking Particles etc. but compared to XRefs it does get a lower priority from me.

Mylenium

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by flingster: booooket rendering would be nice..

If and when it comes, I hereby propose that it be officially pronounced with a Midlands accent.

12 December 2006
My: i don't think i'm missing the collaboration aspects really just trying to provide alternatives of a fashion since essentially it doesn't exist in a form worth having in short...well as far as i know anyways...

gov: boooooket rendering...i think lancashire accent prounounce booook and cooook quite unusual also....but brummie is good also... ;-)

Henry Moore

05 May 2007
... so..., any news on x-refs? I would need em on the project that I am working on...

so maybe for thre next one...

ciao Jan

05 May 2007
Originally Posted by dtoxxx: We should get a sticky going here that lists features that we all want to see implemented in the future, maybe Maxon will see what features are most in demand and reciprocate.

No thanks, this ain't a support forum, if you want you can send Maxon ur suggestions using the form on Maxon's website.

05 May 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread